Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

where to get OS X 10.5 ???

hi got my hands on a old horse (G5 ) with no hard drive an I would like to get it running I do not have the install dvds I manage to download an img of 10.5 but after trying to do a clean install I found out what I had was an upgrade file and not a full install file ... so where can I get (buy) the full install dvd or file ??????

Posted on Feb 27, 2018 10:44 PM

6 replies

Feb 27, 2018 10:49 PM in response to holguinerito

You could try contacting Apple Customer Service (not sales) and ask but they probably do not have any left. I do not know if that machine originally came with Leopard. If it did not you could also ask for a set of the original discs but those would be for whatever OSX came with the machine originally. Otherwise you will have to look around places such as e-bay for used discs. Do not buy grey colored discs which will only work in the machine model with which they were supplied, you need to black colored retail version discs. However, if the machine came with Leopard originally you will need to original release version. You can check exact specs. on the everymac.com web site to see which version came with the computer.

Feb 27, 2018 11:05 PM in response to holguinerito

Just so it is clear, if the specs. site says your computer came with 10.5 originally you will need original gray discs that match that model. Typically those will have a later sub-version of the system which will be required to boot the computer than that provided by the retail discs which came out earlier. If the specs say the computer came with Tiger OS (or earlier) you can just get black retail discs.

If you do need gray discs, typically eBay sellers have no idea which discs are for what and will gladly sell you a set of gray discs which you may find will not boot the computer.

Feb 28, 2018 7:59 AM in response to holguinerito

I also have serious problems with Mac OS system software offed on eBay. Too many are mis-described or even deliberately misrepresented. DO NOT fall for the "you can download it if you give me money" scams. Downloaded OS version are all pirated and the resulting burned disks seldom work to install an OS on a pre-2006 Mac. The software often comes with "something extra" that may corrupt your computer.

Try Amazon.

You can also try a Mac User Group. Today almost every group has a e-mail contact so you don't have to go to meetings to interact. You can e-mail a "looking for" question and the group leader will get the word out to the members. Use this link to find a group in your vicinity:

http://appleusergroupresources.com/find-a-group/

Feb 27, 2018 10:51 PM in response to holguinerito

Contact you're local Apple Support, they might still be able to send one out (highly unlikely). Otherwise try local authorized service shops or online.

where to get OS X 10.5 ???

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.