Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

When I click the iCloud icon in Apple System Preferences it is not responsive

I can't get at the choices to stop or start synching on Apple > System Preferences.

When I try it says "iCloud loading... " but not happens, and if I move the curser

the spinning balls happens. It goes away when I am outside of the Sys Pref panel

but on an spinning when I am pointing to iCloud icon or try to close the panel.

I have to force quit SysPref to get out.

I deleted a couple of hundred images from iCloud Photos and this is happening

since then. I can open iCloud Photos and Mac Photo both without any trouble

at all. Niggling at me to have this happening and not know what to do. Any advice?

MacBook Air (13-inch Mid 2013), OS X Yosemite (10.10.5), Memory4GB1600MHz,Processor1.3GHz

Posted on Feb 27, 2018 10:31 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Feb 28, 2018 1:34 PM

If restarting does not help then probably leaving it for 30 days is the solution letting it stabilize - are things syncing normally and what does the status show (Check the status of your library in Photos for macOS - Apple Support)

LN

Similar questions

9 replies

Feb 28, 2018 8:57 AM in response to LarryHN

Thank you for your reply.

To answer your questions:

I deleted photos one by one, clicking photo and then delete: first on Mac Photos, and then at iCloud photos, and in both cases emptied, deleted, the 'recently deleted album' too.

(Did I perhaps confuse things by doing to much of 'the work' of deleting manually?)

The number of photos listed is decreased in both places by hundreds, matching that they are deleted.

That part of the challenge is okay -- but the actual issue is that I can't get into Apple > System Preferences > iCloud.

When I click this icon the spinning wheel happens within the panel and even on the close, so can only close it by force quitting System Preferences (and that feels as if something might be seriously wrong).

My hunch is that I should leave it all alone for 40 days and then check in to see it it has worked itself out.

I sounds like you might agree.

Feb 28, 2018 12:22 PM in response to allan299

Might be a corrupt .plist.

Do a backup, preferably 2 backups on 2 separate drives.

Quit System Preferences.

Go to Finder and select your user/home folder. With that Finder window as the front window, either select Finder/View/Show View options or go command - J. When the View options opens, check ’Show Library Folder’. That should make your user library folder visible in your user/home folder. Select Library. Then go to Preferences/com.apple.systempreferences.plist. Move the .plist to your desktop.

Restart the computer, open the application, and test. If it works okay, delete the plist from the desktop.

If the application is the same, return the .plist to where you got it from, overwriting the newer one.

Thanks to leonie for some information contained in this.

Feb 28, 2018 1:33 PM in response to LarryHN

I read the article you suggested. My Mac Photos 1.0.1 (215.65.0) doesn't have the information

that is presented in this article only: 797 Photos 17 video. If I understand the article it says that

this information about MacPhotos and iCloud Photos and how they are interacting will be at

the bottom on the screen, if iCloud Photos is on -- and I get a note at MacPhotos to sign in to

iCloud Photos (which I presume I have done when I go there and sign in).

At iCloud it says: 846 Photos & Videos Updated 1:17pm today

This shows the right approximate number for the several hundred images I deleted.

Curious is that the last updating was in Nov 2017 -- but that might be as I was at about

1300 photos and perhaps reached the about 1600 images I read you can store for free.

The article says that the synch happens only if iCloud Photos is on. I did choose for it

to operate in the Apple>sys pref> iCloud options -- but as I have been saying, I can't

get in there to check it because when I try I get the spinning wheel. Once I reached

the limit of the images one can put on iCloud for free, might it have automatically 'shut off'?

-- and for now I can't check to see if that is so at Apple Sys Pref > iCloud (as explained).

Is my reasoning correct that doing all that I have: deleting manually from both MacPhoto

first and then iCloudPhoto; perhaps the iCloud Photos filling with 1300 images for the free

space allotted, and then deleting the deleted items at first Mac Photo and then iCloud Photo

has basically 'mixed up the messages' being sent and received by the Mac system?

Feb 28, 2018 1:37 PM in response to Eric Root

Thank you for the suggestion, very much. I am going to wait for the 30-40 days

after all I have put the system through (and myself) and then if it is still showing

a spinning wheel when I go to Apple Sys Pref > iCloud, to try your suggestion --

or to be frank it seems challenging and I might just not worry about my options

for iCloud preferences, since otherwise all seems okay. Of course current

photos are not being uploading to iCloud, but I have to recognize when I am

up over my head.

So I'll try patience first.

When I click the iCloud icon in Apple System Preferences it is not responsive

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.