Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Live Photos - No Camera Information

I have a smart-album in my Photos App named "iPhone" which is for pictures that I've taken on my iPhone. The problem is that my Live Photos aren't showing up in there. I did some digging and noticed that all of my Live Photos have "No Camera Information" for the camera.

Why is this? Is this normal? Is there any way to change the camera information in the Photos App, even if dome manually?

User uploaded file

iPhone X, iOS 11.2.6, 256GB Model

Posted on Feb 28, 2018 12:09 AM

3 replies

Feb 28, 2018 1:09 AM in response to phkc070408

Why is this? Is this normal?

It is not normal. Which version of Photos and MacOS X are you using?

My Live Photos are showing a camera tag and a lens tag. I am using macOS 10.13.3.

Did you edit your Live Photos in an external editor? Quite a few of my photos are using the lens information and other EXIF tags, when I edit them in external editors.

If you transferred the photos by a Shared Album, they may also have lost the lens tag or other EXIF tags.

If you are not running the newest version of MacOS X consider to upgrade and check, if that will bring the camera information back.

As a work-around, you could open the predefined smart albums "Live Photos" and "Animated" and add a keyword "Live" or "iPhone X" to the iPhone photos.

Phots has no tools to add or modify EXIF tags. Whenever some of my photos are missing EXIF tags like camera or lens tags, I am exporting the original and add the EXIF tags with exiftool in the Terminal.

Then I delete the old version from Photos and reimport the modified photos to Photos. For the update to wirk, you have to empty the Recently Deleted album, before you reimport the Live Photo, or Photos will just use the old original.

For how to use exiftool see. Modifying EXIF tags of Originals Using exiftool: camera, lens, gps

These lines will change the the camera tags, if you install exiftool: Just replace $1 by the path to the image file

For the iphonexback camera:

exiftool -overwrite_original_in_place -preserve "-Make=Apple" $1

exiftool -overwrite_original_in_place -preserve "-Model=iPhone X" $1

exiftool -overwrite_original_in_place -preserve "-Lens=iPhone X back dual camera 6mm f/2.4" $1

for the front camera:

exiftool -overwrite_original_in_place -preserve "-Make=Apple" $1

exiftool -overwrite_original_in_place -preserve "-Model=iPhone X" $1

exiftool -overwrite_original_in_place -preserve "-Lens=iPhone X front TrueDepth camera 2.87mm f/2.2" $1

Live Photos - No Camera Information

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.