Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Contacts will not sync properly between Mac and iPhone

This is angering me very much. I have an iPhone 7 running iOS 11.2.6 and a MacBook Air running Mac OS 10.13.3 and no matter what I do, I cannot get them to properly sync contacts anymore. They used to sync fine. But now, I create a contact on my iPhone and it will sync it over to my Mac but any updates I make, either on iPhone or Mac, refuse to sync. I am getting extremely frustrated with this, I have been using Apple products for over 20 years and never had this kind of issue. Everything else seems to sync, calendars, notes, reminders, photos, call logs, etc. I purposely go out and spend all this money on Apple devices so I DON'T have to deal with these kinds of problems, yet this has been going on for a few months now, they simply will not properly sync contact info! I keep trying to give Apple time to fix it, yet come every update it never seems to get fixed. Why am I not able to properly sync my contacts!?!?

MacBook Air, macOS High Sierra (10.13)

Posted on Feb 28, 2018 12:30 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Apr 18, 2018 10:24 AM

DO NOT sign out of iCloud. Huge mistake if you have iCloud Photo Library turned on. You will hate yourself for the amount of work it takes to get back to where you were, and it probably won't solve the problem. It didn't for me, but it did cause me about 12 hours of work and misery. Don't follow that advice if given by anyone.

I have had syncing issues between my Mac, iCloud, and my iOS devices since upgrading to High Sierra. I spoke with second level support back in December and they suggested deleting my AddressBook folder in my user/library/application support folder. That solved the problem. This week I had sync issues again. Once again I deleted that folder, restarted, and syncing works fine again.

Similar questions

21 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Apr 18, 2018 10:24 AM in response to iBoy2G

DO NOT sign out of iCloud. Huge mistake if you have iCloud Photo Library turned on. You will hate yourself for the amount of work it takes to get back to where you were, and it probably won't solve the problem. It didn't for me, but it did cause me about 12 hours of work and misery. Don't follow that advice if given by anyone.

I have had syncing issues between my Mac, iCloud, and my iOS devices since upgrading to High Sierra. I spoke with second level support back in December and they suggested deleting my AddressBook folder in my user/library/application support folder. That solved the problem. This week I had sync issues again. Once again I deleted that folder, restarted, and syncing works fine again.

Feb 28, 2018 5:26 AM in response to iBoy2G

For syncing contacts , the two devices must be connected to network usb cable must be connected with two devices , in Mac system preferences - iCloud - the box for safari must be checked , high network speed is essential .

See these articles Sync your iPhone, iPad, or iPod touch with iTunes on your computer using USB - Apple Support

Keep your contacts up to date on all of your devices with iCloud - Apple Support

You have to wait until all contacts sync .

Mar 2, 2018 12:35 AM in response to tygb

All of this is up to date. I have a high speed network, both devices are on said network and yes the Safari box is checked under iCloud on my Mac. In addition, it used to sync fine, its only recently that I've been having a problem. Not positive as I don't update contacts much but I think it started after one of the major updates on either iOS or Mac, I think iOS.

Mar 2, 2018 12:53 AM in response to iBoy2G

Also, on an unrelated note, I've noticed wifi network info does not sync either. In the past, whenever I added a wifi network on my iPhone, the info would sync to my Mac and show up under Settings > Network > Advanced. Now it no longer does, only the previously synced wifi networks show up, new ones I've added on my iPhone do not!

Mar 2, 2018 2:48 AM in response to iBoy2G

In fact Macs and iOS are not sometimes compatible with third party apps , so take help of https://etrecheck.com/

This is a very good tool to find out what is running in the system and it is developed by the member of the forum , no personal information is leaked , and even the serial number of Mac , hardware address or mail address is not shown .

First you read about this app , if you are confident and trust it you can post the results .

it will help the members as they can read the post , and will find out best solutions .

Mar 2, 2018 3:28 AM in response to iBoy2G

I have seen something similar to this before.

The only way that I've been able to fix sync issues is to completely sign out of iCloud on the affected devices and sign back in ticking the relevant items you would like to sync. However, back up information first and / or make a note of affected contacts as once you sign out you could lose them.

Apr 16, 2018 3:50 AM in response to iBoy2G

I have the same problem. The thing is, everything did sync, all the apps I chose, synced fine, they still do, except Contacts! Everything is set up fine, this is not my first MacBook nor iPhone. Everything works fine. Since the update to High Sierra, its been not working. I want Apple to admit that there is a problem and start working on it. The purpose of investing in Apple products is for the ease of use! When will this be addressed? When will this be fixed? This is so frustrating! Come on Apple!!

Jun 23, 2018 12:11 PM in response to Alizarine

Thank you, Alizarine!

I posted the comment below just now at the MacBook Pro Retina link. (We'll see what happens.)

"

I have found that my vCard file information in Address Book (previously) and Contacts (recently) occasionally becomes changed, highjack-threatened, or corrupted. This of course causes trouble in syncing between my Macs and my iOS devices, and iCloud.

The data content changes, such as pictures, names, and dates, may be caused by social media or Google (I use gmail and LinkedIn, but NEVER Facebook). I scrupulously avoid non-Apple apps or software and have used Macs since 1984.

Recommendation for Apple: Add two explicit vCard fields for date and time stamps to specify "Date Created" and "Date Updated" for the vCard file. Thanks. Best, Bob."

Jul 15, 2018 11:37 PM in response to iBoy2G

I have contacts synchronising properly between my iOS devices but between iOS and macOS only deletions are synchronising.

I now do not know what I have added to my iOS devices or my macOS devices that are not on each other.

I have seen loads of delete and start agains type solutions but they seem to involve quite a but on manual reconcialtion and do not seem to be permanent.

Is there fix for this issue?

Thank you for your help.

Aug 4, 2018 12:35 AM in response to RR Hale

I've been having this problem since earlier this year and all attempts to fix it have resulted in multiple entries for each address in both my Mac and my iPhone 7. I agree with others that this is not one for customers to be wasting time trying to figure out how to 'make it work' - this is one for apple to acknowledge, address and offer both a fix and apology to time wasted on all sides! I'm going to bug report too and encourage others to do the same.

Aug 15, 2018 6:57 AM in response to iBoy2G

I have just some "deep" Googling and found this cached article:

https://webcache.googleusercontent.com/search?q=cache:GrZPwtGXw8sJ:https://macri ot.com/mcrt/%3Fp%3D2888+&cd=13&hl=en&ct=…

POSTED BY: MACK 24 APRIL, 2018

After weeks of collaboration with AppleCare Support, we finally received a call from AppleCare today confirming our suspicions – since macOS 10.13 High Sierra, something has fundamentally broken in the way iTunes performs USB syncing of Contact records.

In a nutshell, the bad news is, yes.

Its completely broken.

For those of us who rely on USB syncing as the last bastion of privacy and some form of control over our personal data, please take note of this article. This is for you.

You are strongly recommended to do a physical comparison between the Contacts records and their details within your iOS devices against your macOS device that you USB sync with.

Ever since macOS 10.13 High Sierra all the way till its current iteration at press time, macOS 10.13.4 USB sync has been broken.

“Broken” means that no error is displayed during or after the USB syncing indicating anything is wrong. For all intents and purposes the USB sync appears to have completed ‘successfully’.

A quick comparison between the iOS and macOS Contacts app records, will reveal that no update had been performed in either direction, i.e. no new changes made on iOS Contacts are updated to the macOS Contacts app and vice-versa.

Contacts will not sync properly between Mac and iPhone

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.