Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Best MBP upgrade from 2011 MBP?

Hi everyone,

I currently have an early 2011 15” MBP (2.0Ghz i7 quad-core Sandy Bridge processor) and am looking to upgrade to a new 13” MBP. Any opinions on which configuration to get in either a 2016 or 2017 model?

I don’t do any video editing or anything (occasional light editing in Photos), mostly web browsing (multiple tabs open at once), YouTube watching, word processing, and coordinating other Apple apps (reminders, calendars, notes, etc.). My 2011 MBP came with 4gb of RAM, which I upgraded to 16gb about 2-3 years ago because even my relatively basic computing was slow with the 4gb.

My debate is whether to go with a refurbished 2016 with only 8gb of RAM or spring for a 2017 with 16gb, and whether to go with a Touch Bar.

I’d appreciate hearing your thoughts. Thanks!

Posted on Feb 28, 2018 6:04 AM

Similar questions

2 replies

Feb 28, 2018 6:11 AM in response to Scott Shimkus

you have a quad core i7 in that thing, old as it is CPU power has not progressed like GPU power has, most of the dev in CPU appears to be battery life for portable devices.

If you added 16GB RAM and an SSD to that thing it would be like getting the computer out of the box from Apple but significantly faster in every respect.

If you go this route your RAM needs to be specific to that system and verified to work with that system

OWC "Macsales.com" and Crucial are two vendors who do sell RAM that will work with that mac. Avoid RAM with the same specs, voltage, latency and timings you find elsewhere, they may be cheaper but there is a good chance they wont work.

for the fraction of the cost you would be getting a great system, and the 2011 still supports High Seirra.

If you need a GPU later you can get an external one, while this is going to be expensive it is not going to be as much as a new mac and there a a number of GPU options available that would essentially blow the doors off any GPU optimized application in comparison with the top of the line MacBook Pro.

Best MBP upgrade from 2011 MBP?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.