Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

What is causing 10.13.3 automatically updated 1 week apart

I did OS re-install on 2-23-18 and followed it up with a 10.13.3 supplemental update the same day

Today 10.13.3 Supplemental update automatically updated again

What is causing this to occur

User uploaded fileUser uploaded file

User uploaded file

Mac mini, iOS 11.0.3, Safari 11.0.3 (13604.5.6)

Posted on Feb 28, 2018 6:12 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Feb 28, 2018 7:49 AM

You are getting confused between About This Mac> System Report and the 30 day list in the App Store.

You have two entries in the 30 day list in the App Store stating that the Supplemental Update of 02 23 18 was in stalled. If it is not listed in the System Report then it was not installed. The Supplemental Update listed as 01 19 18 is a different update altogether. You can manually download and install updates from here, Apple - Support - Downloads

Please note that if you go down to the bottom of the page you will see a Supplemental Update for macOS 10.13.2 which is probably the one you are seeing listed in the System Report, you still need to install the Supplemental Update for 10.13.3, and download the correct one NOT the one only for the iMac Pro.

The System Report is the one to believe.

13 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Feb 28, 2018 7:49 AM in response to abigdogdad

You are getting confused between About This Mac> System Report and the 30 day list in the App Store.

You have two entries in the 30 day list in the App Store stating that the Supplemental Update of 02 23 18 was in stalled. If it is not listed in the System Report then it was not installed. The Supplemental Update listed as 01 19 18 is a different update altogether. You can manually download and install updates from here, Apple - Support - Downloads

Please note that if you go down to the bottom of the page you will see a Supplemental Update for macOS 10.13.2 which is probably the one you are seeing listed in the System Report, you still need to install the Supplemental Update for 10.13.3, and download the correct one NOT the one only for the iMac Pro.

The System Report is the one to believe.

Feb 28, 2018 6:33 AM in response to abigdogdad

If you want to see if updates have indeed been installed, click on the Apple top left of your screen click on About This Mac then click on System Report. Go down to Software then Installations, click on Install Date twice so the list now shows the most recent installs first. Sometimes the App Stores 30 day list can show updates that have not been properly downloaded and installed, so checking the System Report is sometimes necessary.

Feb 28, 2018 7:33 AM in response to Eau Rouge

Thanks for the tip

I did as you said and encountered the following:

1. When I went to the System Report it showed the supplemental update 1/19/18

. (not todays date)

2. Yet when you go to about this Mac it still showed both supplementals with different update date as I originally reported

3. So I did a Restart and the install date in the System Report is 1/19/18

4. After the Restart, About this Mac shows the same supplemental update "Twice" Installed Feb 23, 2018

Very Bizarre - makes you wonder what to believe

Feb 28, 2018 10:04 AM in response to abigdogdad

You are confusing About This Mac and the App Store again, the 30 day list appears in the App Store.

You can get rid of the entries in the 30 day list if you want.

In Finder click on Go in the menubar, and then click on Go To Folder and enter the following text, ~/Library/Application Support/App Store, now click on Go. A new Finder folder will open in the App Store folder there should be a file called updatejournal.plist, move it to the Trash and empty. Restart your Mac, relaunch the App Store and go to Updates and the 30 day list will now be empty.

Mar 8, 2018 8:28 AM in response to Eau Rouge

In macOS Sierra this information was stored in:

~/Library/Application Support/App Store/updatejournal.plist

But in macOS High Sierra this file only contains the 3rd Party Apps from the App Store. The Update Information from Apple Updates is apparently stored somewhere else

It’s in a different location now:

/private/var/db/softwareupdate/journal.plist

Reboot then Required

I followed this procedure, and after the reboot my Software Updates was clean

Thank you for your help with this

Mar 8, 2018 9:06 AM in response to abigdogdad

FYI - After clearing the 30 Day List I did go back to the System Report and it shows 4 installs about 4 days apart of the same Supplemental Update - showing as installed on 4 separate dates

I just got a hold of Apple Support and Level 1 and 2 agree that Engineering needs to look at this. So I have an open case with Apple and will let you know how this turns out. (Does not seem to be service affecting, but it should not be updating the same update (or at least appearing to do so) - every few days

Mar 8, 2018 10:19 AM in response to abigdogdad

Good sleuthing on finding the new residence of the journal.plis.

Clearing the 30 day list in the App Store does not affect the information in the System Report, so don't expect those notifications to disappear. You can manually install the Supplemental update as many times as you like and the System Report will reflect that as individual installs.

What is causing 10.13.3 automatically updated 1 week apart

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.