Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

triggering formula by entering a text word into a cell that is not part of the formula

triggering a set formula across a number of cells by entering a text word into a cell that is not part of the formula

Posted on Feb 28, 2018 5:35 AM

6 replies

Feb 28, 2018 7:49 AM in response to Badunit

User uploaded file

I tried your suggestion but no success. I must have got something wrong.

As shown 'SELL" is in cell. The other cells are

I give a copy above of the formula as applied and gives the result ( -257 ) in Cell N63. The formula reads :

=(H79) x (F79) - (F79) / (G78) x (K78) -12

Because this is needed only when 'SELL " is entered into the appropriate CELL in col D I would like to have the word 'sell' trigger the formula to save repeatedly copying and pasting it.

The formula as copied above works fine when pasted each time.

Thanks in anticipation.

Feb 28, 2018 5:44 AM in response to engleton

Your question was extremely vague and not clear. Maybe if each of those formulas that need to be “triggered” start with an IF function? This is just a guess about what you might be asking so please forgive me if I misunderstood.

If cell A1 is where you will be entering a text word and cell B2 is one of the cells that need to be triggered then:

cell B2 =IF(A1="", "", whatever you want the formula to do when triggered)

triggering formula by entering a text word into a cell that is not part of the formula

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.