Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

how do i update an old apple id for a purchased song?

I've just discovered that I have a song in iTunes that I bought a very, very long time ago when I obviously had a different Apple iD.

If I try to play it, a window appears saying "This computer is not authorised to play (this song). Would you like to authorise it? To play this song you must authorise this computer using the (old apple id name) apple iD"

Everything else on my MBP works with my current iD. I've checked on the 'Manage your Apple iD' site and my current iD is registered correctly there, but there is no record of an old one.

So how do I fix it so that I can play music I purchased a very long time ago?

MacBook Pro with Retina display, macOS Sierra (10.12.6)

Posted on Feb 28, 2018 7:23 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Feb 28, 2018 2:50 PM

It is bit like me setting up a bank account, but if instead of using my name I can set it up with my only street address as the account owner name. I set it up as 678OakStreet and deposit my money. I later go into the bank and say, "I have moved and I now want the owner of my account to be 324ElmStreet." Or I could go into the bank and say, "I used to be called 678OakStreet, I now want you to set up an account for 324ElmStreet." See the difference? In the first case it is the same account and my money will be there. In the second case I have set up a completely different account which I am doing at the same time as I changed where I live. Now the bank analogy falls apart because unlike transferring money from account to account, you cannot transfer iTunes Store purchases between accounts. If you have something purchased under a different account you can only use it by authorizing the computer to that account even if it is with an old address. If you have not set up a separate account and just changed the identifier (email address) on the account then you should be able to use your authorization you have now. As for the ID you see on the track, it's a bit like me having a bank statement on my shelf at home from 10 years ago saying I have $100 in my account at my old street address. Sure, I have moved but that isn't going to change what's printed on the piece of paper. If I go to the bank and get a new statement it will still say I have that $100 in my account but my new statement will have my new address on it. Your music file has the old address embedded in it.

As Niel says, if you changed your email on your account, you're using the same account. If instead of changing it you signed up again with the new address then you have a new account and will have to live with managing purchases across two accounts which is a nuisance.

12 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Feb 28, 2018 2:50 PM in response to citroenDS

It is bit like me setting up a bank account, but if instead of using my name I can set it up with my only street address as the account owner name. I set it up as 678OakStreet and deposit my money. I later go into the bank and say, "I have moved and I now want the owner of my account to be 324ElmStreet." Or I could go into the bank and say, "I used to be called 678OakStreet, I now want you to set up an account for 324ElmStreet." See the difference? In the first case it is the same account and my money will be there. In the second case I have set up a completely different account which I am doing at the same time as I changed where I live. Now the bank analogy falls apart because unlike transferring money from account to account, you cannot transfer iTunes Store purchases between accounts. If you have something purchased under a different account you can only use it by authorizing the computer to that account even if it is with an old address. If you have not set up a separate account and just changed the identifier (email address) on the account then you should be able to use your authorization you have now. As for the ID you see on the track, it's a bit like me having a bank statement on my shelf at home from 10 years ago saying I have $100 in my account at my old street address. Sure, I have moved but that isn't going to change what's printed on the piece of paper. If I go to the bank and get a new statement it will still say I have that $100 in my account but my new statement will have my new address on it. Your music file has the old address embedded in it.

As Niel says, if you changed your email on your account, you're using the same account. If instead of changing it you signed up again with the new address then you have a new account and will have to live with managing purchases across two accounts which is a nuisance.

Feb 28, 2018 7:27 AM in response to citroenDS

Was this purchased with an Apple ID for which you then changed the name (email address), or was it purchased with a different account?

Authorization should ideally track Apple ID name changes in one account. Purchases made with different accounts can never be merged into one account and you will need to authorize the computer to the other account.

Authorize your computer in iTunes - https://support.apple.com/HT201251

Feb 28, 2018 7:41 AM in response to citroenDS

Are we talking about one account or different accounts? You can have one account that has gone through many AppleID changes, just the way I have had many different street addresses and changed them as I move. So was this purchased with the same account you are using now just with a different ID at the time, or was it purchased with a different account? Either way the answers for the different scenarios have been provided above.

Feb 28, 2018 8:14 AM in response to Limnos

I have had my current Apple ID for a long time now - so to use your addresses analogy, the old ID that I have just discovered is a bit like coming across a house I can't remember ever living in. But it's still there.

If I want to redownload the track, the Apple link (above) seems to say that I need to use the ID used at time of purchase. Can that be right?

Feb 28, 2018 8:34 AM in response to citroenDS

I have never bought anything from the iTunes Store (only free apps) so I am not familiar with the details of this process. I am a bit confused by Niel's statement which on face value implies if you bought this under an old Apple ID and try to redownload it after changing Apple IDs but not accounts you would get charged again. Nobody would ever buy anything from Apple on that basis because people change email addresses all the time.

I think this is where it is critical we be clear on whether or not we are talking about accounts or IDs. Unfortunately Apple tends to be unclear in its naming of a lot of things and that contributes to the confusion.

Feb 28, 2018 2:10 PM in response to Limnos

Thanks for your reply Limnos. It would be really helpful if you could tell me what you think the difference is between an Apple ID and an Apple account and why you consider it to be critical.

I've always thought of the Apple ID as being the way into all the things I use with Apple, on all my devices. That just seems to be the way it works - i.e. the ID is the User. And the User obviously has to have a password.

The loss of one track from my music library is not that important, because I can easily replace it, but I would like to understand the principle as you understand it.

Mar 1, 2018 2:55 AM in response to Limnos

That was really helpful, Limnos - many thanks indeed!

I can see now that I obviously had another account at one time, although - having checked the 'Purchased' list in iTunes - there were only a very small number of tracks that I had bought using the very old and now disconnected email address. Not much lost, but something gained from your very clear explanation!

how do i update an old apple id for a purchased song?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.