Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Preowned Apple Watch setup

My screen on my Apple Watch cracked so I am purchasing a preowned Apple Watch. How do I erase the previous owners info. And synchronized my apple phone to it?

Posted on Feb 28, 2018 6:22 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Feb 28, 2018 6:28 AM

Hi

You appear to be describing Activation Lock, which prevents unauthorised use of Apple Watch if it is lost or stolen.

The previous owner should erase the Apple Watch and remove Activation Lock before selling their device by following the instructions here:

If you have not yet purchased the Apple Watch, then be sure to get the seller's assurance that they will do this.

There is no way to check, remotely, whether or not Activation Lock has been removed from an Apple Watch. There is also no way around the security feature. If you start to pair the Apple Watch to your iPhone and are prompted to enter the previous owner's Apple ID and password, then Activation Lock has not been removed.

If you have already purchased the Apple Watch and it remains locked by Activation Lock, then, to be able to pair the Apple Watch to your own iPhone, you would need the previous owner (who may not be the seller) to either enter their Apple ID and password on your iPhone or to turn the feature off via https://www.icloud.com/ (by signing in with their Apple ID > Find My iPhone > All Devices, then select the Apple Watch > Erase Apple Watch > Next until erased > click X next to the watch).

If you cannot arrange for the previous owner to do this, then you should, if possible, return the Apple Watch for a refund.

I'm afraid that you will not otherwise be able to use the Apple Watch. There is no way around this security feature.

Apple will not advise you of the previous owner's contact details (if different from the seller's), nor will Apple pass your details on to them.

1 reply
Question marked as Best reply

Feb 28, 2018 6:28 AM in response to juliefromhoschton

Hi

You appear to be describing Activation Lock, which prevents unauthorised use of Apple Watch if it is lost or stolen.

The previous owner should erase the Apple Watch and remove Activation Lock before selling their device by following the instructions here:

If you have not yet purchased the Apple Watch, then be sure to get the seller's assurance that they will do this.

There is no way to check, remotely, whether or not Activation Lock has been removed from an Apple Watch. There is also no way around the security feature. If you start to pair the Apple Watch to your iPhone and are prompted to enter the previous owner's Apple ID and password, then Activation Lock has not been removed.

If you have already purchased the Apple Watch and it remains locked by Activation Lock, then, to be able to pair the Apple Watch to your own iPhone, you would need the previous owner (who may not be the seller) to either enter their Apple ID and password on your iPhone or to turn the feature off via https://www.icloud.com/ (by signing in with their Apple ID > Find My iPhone > All Devices, then select the Apple Watch > Erase Apple Watch > Next until erased > click X next to the watch).

If you cannot arrange for the previous owner to do this, then you should, if possible, return the Apple Watch for a refund.

I'm afraid that you will not otherwise be able to use the Apple Watch. There is no way around this security feature.

Apple will not advise you of the previous owner's contact details (if different from the seller's), nor will Apple pass your details on to them.

Preowned Apple Watch setup

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.