Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

2nd Generation MacBook Pro-OSX?

I have an early 2009 MacBookPro. 2nd Generation. I currently run OSX 10.6.8

4 gigs of memory and 500GB harddrive. Itunes doesn't connect properly to my

Iphone 7S, I use Safari,Firefox, and all other internet browsers. I am having trouble

and am wondering whether my computer is too old, or is there an operating system

I can upgrade to that is available and recommended. Thanks Jeff

MacBook Pro, Mac OS X (10.6.8), 2nd Generation-Early 2009

Posted on Feb 28, 2018 7:21 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Feb 28, 2018 8:01 AM

Your MBP will run with up to macOS 10.11 "El Capitan." Info on how to upgrade is in this Apple article:

How to download OS X El Capitan - Apple Support

4 replies

Feb 28, 2018 9:09 AM in response to jeffdrewe

jeffdrewe wrote:

I have an early 2009 MacBookPro. 2nd Generation. I currently run OSX 10.6.8

Maybe 5th generation if it's from 2009. The first MacBook Pro models came out in 2006 and had user-replaceable batteries that aren't held in place with screws. It's serviceable, although you really want to keep all the original stuff such as install discs since it's not capable of Internet Recovery.

An SSD might help a little bit, but it might be SATA II speeds for yours.

Feb 28, 2018 10:05 AM in response to y_p_w

Even at SATA II speeds it will be very much faster than whatever HDD it is currently burdened with. 250 (or so) mb/s is far more than an HDD can manage, and that ignores the massive reduction in latency that results from using an SSD. It also uses less power and thus generates less heat, a veritable feast of goodness.

2nd Generation MacBook Pro-OSX?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.