Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Fix for El Capitan stuck at log-in... question from someone out of there depth?

Hi!

To reopen an old issue...

Regarding this thread....

Fix for El Capitan stuck at login

I am having this problem and I being unexperienced with Terminal I can't see what I am doing wrong. When I type....

find /Volumes/Macintosh HD/private/var/folders/ | grep com.apple.LaunchServices | grep csstore

I get back....

find/Volumes Macintosh: No such file or directory

When I type....

find /Volumes/"Macintosh HD"/private/var/folders/ | grep com.apple.LaunchServices | grep csstore

I get back...

find/Volumes Macintosh HD/private/var/folders/: No such file or directory

I am running from a rescue drive on a USB drive, and I am confident that the boot drive with the users I am trying to fix is called Macintosh HD.

Any assistance in what I am doing wrong would be greatly appreciated

Thanks
Jeff

Posted on Feb 28, 2018 8:02 AM

Similar questions

7 replies

Feb 28, 2018 11:55 AM in response to wolfgangubi

Yes there is a typo in my post, make sure there is no . after the | it should be | grep

but we could navigate manually to the file in question as you are not having much success with the above command.

To show hidden files on your Mac enter this in Terminal

defaults write com.apple.finder AppleShowAllFiles -boolean true ; killall Finder

press Return.

Now you can navigate through the folders, Private/Var/Folders in Folders you should see a list of other folders, click on the first one, then you should see another folder open that then open O and then you should see the com.apple.LaunchServices csstore file. The image below is where mine is kept, the names of some of the folders in yours may differ.

User uploaded file

Mar 1, 2018 10:05 AM in response to wolfgangubi

And I get...

find/Volumes/MacintoshHD/private/var/folders/: No such file or directory

You did not put a space after the word 'find'

First of all do you have a mounted volume called "/Volumes/Macintosh HD". Try the command

/bin/df

This should list the mounted file systems. Once you know the exact "Mounted on" path, you can compost your 'find' command being very careful about white space and protecting the white space.

If you cannot get your spacing correct, then try getting there one folder at a time

cd /Volumes

ls

cd "Macintosh HD" # assuming that is the name of the mounted boot disk

ls

cd private

ls

cd var

ls

cd folders

ls

find . | grep com.apple.LaunchServices | grep csstore

Fix for El Capitan stuck at log-in... question from someone out of there depth?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.