Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Win10 Setup - "System Volume has no space"

Hello,

I can't seem to continue on with my Windows 10 installation. When I click on 'new' nothing happens. There were a few attempts before where random errors with different hex codes would pop up while doing it.

I found a solution involving formatting the EFI partition during setup but I'm reluctant to do that. I tried mounting the EFI partition back in MacOS and removing about 150mb of cache files but then I noticed that even finder reports no available space on it.

Extra info:

1. I'm using a USB 3.0 thumbdrive with the setup files + bootcamp drivers at root. I couldn't use BC Assistant because it always messed up my autoAttend.xml file when it rebooted to setup.
  2. I managed to copy OSXReserved to that thumbdrive before my mac restarted when I used BC before this.
  3. Modified the autoattend.xml at root: "<DiskConfiguration><WillShowUI>Always"
  4. gdisk reports MBR protective with GPT present.
  5. The unallocated space was previously MacOS Journaled partition. Formatting it to fat-32 makes the disk MBR hybrid and win10 setup wasn't too happy about that.

User uploaded file

User uploaded file

Apologies if this isn't the right community to ask.

Posted on Feb 28, 2018 9:05 AM

Similar questions

3 replies

Feb 28, 2018 10:00 AM in response to Loner T

I use a 2016 Macbook Pro 13"

I did try using BC Assistant, but it gave me an <ImageInstall> error. I spent the day yesterday sporadically resetting my NVRAM and SMC and redoing the BC Assistant with countless redownloads of ISOs. I even tried unplugging my HDMI adaptor which comes with two USB slots - nothing has worked so far.

Is there anything else I can try to get it working through BC Assistant? Maybe upgrade from Sierra to High Sierra?

User uploaded file

Feb 28, 2018 10:29 AM in response to Hazmatyre

I do not recommend High Sierra. It will bring more issues.

The error message indicates that BCA is unable to derive the correct AutoUnattend.xml. I recommend

• Remove the current Free Space and merge it back into macOS
  • Disconnect all external peripherals
  • Run SMC/NVRAM Reset
  • Verify that your ISO is the not block corrupted by verifying the MD5sum of ethics's ISO
  • Run BCA, and use the standard method of installation
  • Report any errors

Feb 28, 2018 9:47 AM in response to Hazmatyre

You should not be using 'New' for installing Windows on a Mac. The EFI partition should remain intact for macOS to work properly.

If you Mac only supports legacy BIOS/MBR installation, forcing GPT/EFI will cause issues with the Apple hardware/drivers from functioning properly.

If your Mac creates OSXRESERVED, it is more than likely a 2015 or later model. Can you confirm the year/model of your Mac (do not post the serial number)? 2015 and later models to not use a USB installer.

None of Windows installers have a USB3 drivers, unless you manually update install.wim to include USB3 drivers. You need to use a USB2 flash drive of 8+GB, only if BC Assistant prompts you for it.

Win10 Setup - "System Volume has no space"

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.