Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Garage Band won't open - library error

Hi, just read the question from @Giammo about Garage Band not opening:

"I have just downloaded and installed the latest version of Garage Band in my MacBook Pro (recently updated to the last iOS High Sierra). When I try to open the app, a message pops up telling 'MacOS needs to repair your library before open applications'. I click the 'repair' button; however, it seems nothing changes since Garage Band is not able to start and it quits suddenly. (just after putting my password allowing this action)

Just wondering if anyone is experiencing the same issue, and possible ways to solve it. Thank you"

I have exactly the same problem. Mac ProMacBook Pro (Retina, 13-inch, Late 2013) Mac OS 10.13.3 High Sierra.

I tried to check the solution @léonie suggested: disable iCloud settings for Garage Band; but actually couldnt find the path:

Settings > Your Name > iCloud > GarageBand? . (Garage Band is not an item at iCloud settings..

I deleted the App, reinstalled the last version from Apple Store, and the same error keeps showing up.

Thanks !

Paulo

MacBook Pro, macOS High Sierra (10.13.3)

Posted on Feb 28, 2018 9:45 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Feb 28, 2018 12:57 PM

If it is working in the Guest User account, then the permissions on your home folder probably need fixing. A system upgrade can cause problems with the file ownership in the home folder.

See this support document. Resolve issues caused by changing the permissions of items in your home folder - Apple Support

Similar questions

5 replies

Feb 28, 2018 10:53 AM in response to pauloc68

My suggestion has been meant for GarageBand iOS (on an iPad or iPad), not for GarageBand on a Mac.

I have never seen a message about repairing the Library for GarageBand, only for iPho, Photos, Aperture, or iMovie.

Did you perhaps move parts of your system library (the loops or instruments) to a different folder, perhaps to an external drive?

Garage Band won't open - library error

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.