Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Question:

Question: Can I upgrade hardware in an iMac?

Can I upgrade the hardware on an iMac 2008?

iMac, iOS 10.3.2

Posted on

Feb 28, 2018 4:14 PM in response to kennethfromshelbyville In response to kennethfromshelbyville

You can upgrade the RAM to 6GB and replace the HD with a SSD however that's about it. After upgrading you're still left with a 11+ year old computer. Not a wise way to spend money IMHO.

Feb 28, 2018 4:14 PM

Reply Helpful (1)

Feb 28, 2018 9:14 PM in response to kennethfromshelbyville In response to kennethfromshelbyville

That machine is now 10 years old.

The cheapest thing to do would be just to install 6 GBs of RAM.

Installing an internal SSD, in place of the old spinning hard drive CAN get pricey.

Even external FW800 SSDs can get pricey to add to this iMac.

If you can’t afford a new or “newer” used iMac, at this time, and this is your ONLY, primary iMac, you need the weigh out the costs versus the benefits to you.

Don’t listen to others telling you shouldn't put any more money into your iMac.

If you want to use an SSD in that iMac, a 1 or 2 TB SSD is going to prohibtively expensive for that year and model iMac.

You may need to limit your SSD options to maybe 250-500 GBs SSDs and maybe consider adding a large capacity external FW800 drive to store larger amounts of data and backups on.

You should be using an external drive for backups, anyways.

I can’t afford a newer, used iMac,either, right now, so it’s cheaper for me to add things where you can to eek out more performance with what you got!

Depending on what you do with that iMac, an iPad may or may not be a better place to put whatever money you plan to spend on your 2008 iMac.

So, do what you will.

Good Luck to You!

Feb 28, 2018 9:14 PM

Reply Helpful

Feb 28, 2018 9:48 PM in response to CountryGirl56 In response to CountryGirl56

CountryGirl56 wrote:

Don't listen to people who tell you not to listen to other people, it doesn't make any logical sense for one thing. 😎

Says you!

😝

Some users can't afford a newer or new Mac!

I am a BIG proponent of working with what you have until a better opportunity arises.

Prior to purchasing my late 2009 iMac in 2011, I got by and created my paying work done on a 2003 1.42 Ghz PowerMac G4, that I used and heavily modified, for 8 years until I could, finally, afford a newer Mac.

Still could not purchase a brand new Mac, at that time, in 2011, either.

I still have that PowerMac G4, too! Served me very well.

I added a more powerful graphics card, larger drives, more interface connections, wireless WiFi card over the time I used that Mac.

Feb 28, 2018 9:48 PM

Reply Helpful
User profile for user: kennethfromshelbyville

Question: Can I upgrade hardware in an iMac?