Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

iMac Pro ignoring Energy Saver settings

Hi all

I have an iMac Pro (3ghz, 32gb ram, 2tb ssd, Vega 64) and it's been misbehaving lately with regards to energy settings.

I have it attached to a G-Tech G Speed Shuttle via TB3 (and two other drives via USB in case that is relevant) and the Shuttle has an irritating feature that can't be turned off, where it beeps twice whenever the system it is attached to wakes from sleep, and orders the Shuttle to spin up.

This was causing the Shuttle to beep every 20-30 minutes, all night long while my iMac was supposed to be asleep.

At first I just turned off Power Nap and it worked, but then that suddenly stopped working after a couple of weeks and the nighttime beeps have started again.

I've also turned off Wake for network access and Put hard disks to sleep when possible, and still no luck. The beeps start very soon after the computer goes to sleep.

iMac Pro, macOS High Sierra (10.13.3), 3ghz, 2tb ssd, 32gb ram, Vega 64

Posted on Feb 28, 2018 12:15 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Feb 28, 2018 2:49 PM

With "Power Nap" and "Wake for network access" disabled it shouldn't wake from sleep. It's possible a file is corrupted. It's possible some software you have installed is ignoring the settings.

You can try creating another admin account and see if the drive beeps while in the new account. If not, there is some issue with your normal account.

You can also try…

How to reset the System Management Controller (SMC) on your Mac - Apple Support

Or, see if it beeps while in Safe Mode.

Use safe mode to isolate issues with your Mac - Apple Support

Similar questions

16 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Feb 28, 2018 2:49 PM in response to perry_k

With "Power Nap" and "Wake for network access" disabled it shouldn't wake from sleep. It's possible a file is corrupted. It's possible some software you have installed is ignoring the settings.

You can try creating another admin account and see if the drive beeps while in the new account. If not, there is some issue with your normal account.

You can also try…

How to reset the System Management Controller (SMC) on your Mac - Apple Support

Or, see if it beeps while in Safe Mode.

Use safe mode to isolate issues with your Mac - Apple Support

Feb 28, 2018 4:17 PM in response to CountryGirl56

log show | grep -i "wake reason”. Use terminal Sierra or High Sierra

EHC or XHC — The Enhanced Host Controller (or Extended Host Controller) code generally is followed by a number (e.g., “EHC1” or “EHC2”). This indicates the specific input device (USB, Bluetooth, or otherwise)but can also be wireless devices and bluetooth since they are also on the USB bus of a Mac.. Generally this code indicates a button has been pressed on the device. To troubleshoot this issue, try unplugging all of your external devices and see if doing so stops the system wakes, then systematically add them back to see if you can find the one that is causing the issue.

OHC — The Open Host Controller suggests peripheral USB or Firewire interfaces, either for storage, audio, printing, or otherwise, might have been the cause for the issue. As with other controller-based wake events like EHCs, this calls for testing each separately to see what might be the cause for the problem.

USB# — This suggests an attached USB device caused the wake event. The number in this code is the enumerated USB device ID, which will not mean much to you, but simply indicates some hub, interface, controller, or other USB device you have attached to your system was the cause for the wake event.

EC.cause — This code includes a specific phrase of what caused it, including things like “EC.LidOpen” or “EC.PowerButton” which tell you what the reason for the wake event was.

GIGE — This stands for “Gigabit Ethernet” and suggests you might have Wake for Network Access checked in the Energy System preferences

LID0 — On some MacBook systems, this indicates the lid was opened.

PWRB — As the code suggests, this means the power button was used to wake your Mac.

RTC — This stands for Real Time Clock, meaning your Mac was scheduled to start up at a specified time in the Energy Saver system preferences. Either try checking your system’s wake schedule in the System Preferences, or reset your Mac’s SMC to keep this from happening.

Feb 28, 2018 5:35 PM in response to DonH49

Thanks! It looks like it's a mix of these two wake reasons. Any ideas for how to make this stop?

2018-02-27 19:09:49.053222-0500 0x74       Default     0x0                  0      0    kernel: (AppleACPIPlatform) AppleACPIPlatformPower Wake reason: EC.WoL XGBE (Network)

2018-02-27 19:12:49.952245-0500 0x74       Default     0x0                  0      0    kernel: (AppleACPIPlatform) AppleACPIPlatformPower Wake reason: EC.RTC (Alarm)

Mar 4, 2018 1:35 AM in response to perry_k

Hi there,

I'm experiencing sleep wake issues with my iMac Pro also. I put mine into sleep mode and it actually does a dirty shutdown and reboot a couple times over night, so could it be that you are experiencing?

When your computer beeps it could be that it has initiated a dirty restart and the login screen you're left with is actually the rebooted screen. I changed all my energy saver settings with no joy and have run every test Apple have provided but they are now asking that I send it back for a hardware review.

Do you have any system error messages or notifications that your machine closed unexpectedly? Maybe browsers or applications needed to be restored?

Did you have a loading bar appear when you tried logging in again? If so, you might be experiencing the same issue with me and it may need to go back for a hardware check.

Mar 8, 2018 1:20 AM in response to perry_k

Got exact the same 'wake up reason': WoL XGBE.
The iMac Pro is attached to a 10 GbE port (ASUS XG-U2008 switch), also a NAS (QNAP TS-453BT3) at one of the two the 10 GbE ports of the switch.
Had a long test-run and configuration: when they are attached together with 10 GbE, the iMac can't be held in sleep mode. He always is listening and reacting to some "magic packets", which were not existent ⚠ and wakes up after a few seconds of sleep.
Wake-up on network access-option is and was always OFF (also tested 'on').

Had to switch the iMac Pro or the NAS to normal gigabit, instead of 10GbE 😟

Something around the network/network driver is very buggy with the iMac Pro. Crashes after copying 200 GB or more, now found this glitch a few weeks ago :/

Mar 8, 2018 7:24 AM in response to perry_k

Don't know but mine was behaving properly for days on days. then I updated my iPhone X and my wife's iPhone SE to the latest iOS !!. Then I preferred checked my iPhone as I normally do after an update but did not on the SE. So out of the clear blue sky sleep was getting interrupted and my externals would wake immediately. It took me a few hours after I used those wake reasons in the Terminal but it turned out my wife's iPhone SE BLETOOTH was turned ON. We never have bluetooth turned on on portable devices unless out on the golf course. Turning bluetooth off corrected the wake issue.

Mar 14, 2018 1:20 AM in response to DonH49

Orr, yes you are right. Doing a backup on my X two days ago, since then the iMac Pro wakes up through the phone exactly when using a Bluetooth device (this one not connected/learned with the iMac) like a activity tracker for sync with the iPhone. (BTW: with my last Retina iMac and High Sierra this works properly). Had to switch "wake up by bluetooth" to off. 😐

This drives me nuts. "Bug" number four or five with High Sierra and the iMac Pro...

(200GB copy error, wake-up when connected with 10GbE, this Bluetooth wake-up now, and several small ones: doesn't remember wallpaper after reboot, file associations/default application get lost (getting mad with this)...)

I wish i could switch to an older, more stable OS.

iMac Pro ignoring Energy Saver settings

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.