Announcement: Upgrade to macOS Mojave

With features like Dark Mode, Stacks, and four new built-in apps, macOS Mojave helps you get more out of every click. 
Find out how to upgrade to macOS Mojave > https://support.apple.com/macos/mojave

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Question:

Question: Time Machine won't let me select any previous backups

Had a problem with my 2014 Mac Mini's disk, so after chatting with Apple, I took it to the Genius Bar, where they did some checks, and deleted my hard drive, leaving it with just the MacOS 10.12.6 installed. The guy recommended restoring files individually, and not the wholesale Time Machine restore. I went home and hooked it up to my backup disk and fired up Time Machine. I can see previous backups in the usual way, but it doesn't let me select anything. The scale at the right slides up and down, but the Finder window doesn't move off "Now".

I suspect this is related to the fact that it looks like a different computer now (different name) from what it was when the backups were generated.

Any suggestions?

Mac mini, macOS Sierra (10.12.6)

Posted on

There’s more to the conversation

Read all replies

Feb 28, 2018 1:52 PM in response to leroydouglas In response to leroydouglas

Thanks. I tried it, and it won't let me use the backup disk because it says it is a later version of MacOS and I need to update. I just got the latest Security Update (2018-001) from the App Store, and am running 10.12.6. I don't recall what I had on the Mini before this happened, but it seems like that is the latest available.

Feb 28, 2018 1:52 PM

Reply Helpful
User profile for user: RickAAllen

Question: Time Machine won't let me select any previous backups