Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Can Photos libraries be merged?

Obviously the photos from library can be exported and imported. But I'd like to do a merge like Aperture would do.

If merging is possible, are People identifications preserved or do I have to wait months for the processing? (I'm a Lat e 2013 MBP. I have used my wife's ~2015 MBP which processes 5–10 times faster.

MacBook Pro (Retina, 15-inch, Late 2013), macOS High Sierra (10.13), 16GB, 500GB SSD

Posted on Feb 28, 2018 12:13 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Feb 28, 2018 12:33 PM

The only way to merge libraries in Photos while preserving people and the connection between originals and edited versions is uploading both libraries to iCloud Photo Library. iCloud will merge the libraries and they will download to the Mac as a merged library.

See: Notes on Merging Photos Libraries

You may want to sign up for enough cloud storage temporarily to be able to merge your libraries in this lossless way.

4 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Feb 28, 2018 12:33 PM in response to MtnBiker

The only way to merge libraries in Photos while preserving people and the connection between originals and edited versions is uploading both libraries to iCloud Photo Library. iCloud will merge the libraries and they will download to the Mac as a merged library.

See: Notes on Merging Photos Libraries

You may want to sign up for enough cloud storage temporarily to be able to merge your libraries in this lossless way.

Feb 28, 2018 3:01 PM in response to MtnBiker

Is there anything like exporting a Project to a Library as was possible with Aperture? I'm thinking I may still want to keep some photos in a separate library.

No, Photos is not a professional application like aperture. It is very basic, like iPhoto.

To export a partial library duplicate the library and delete everything from the copy that you do not need there.

Or get yourself PowerPhotos as a a helper. PowerPhotos can export partial Libraries, but it cannot preserve the connection between edited versions and originals.

Can Photos libraries be merged?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.