Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Move Apple Mail to separate drive

I am considering changing from Outlook to Apple Mail as my mail client. In this case, I do not plan to copy or migrate any mail from Outlook to Apple Mail, so my use of Apple Mail will be "clean" in the sense there will be no prior emails or accounts in Apple Mail.

My question is how to move/relocate the Apple Mail data folder/files from my home folder on my system HD to a separate drive that I use exclusively for data. (I prefer to keep data on a separate drive.)

Do I only need to copy the ~/Library/Mail folder to the second drive and then create a symbolic link in ~/Library pointing to the relocated /Mail folder on the second drive?

In research I have done so far I have also seen mentions of moving the following files but I question that because they would need to remain in ~/Library/Preferences ... right? --

~/Library/Preferences/com.apple.mail-shared.plist

~/Library/Preferences/com.apple.mail.plist

~/Library/Preferences/com.apple.mail.plist.lockfile

Using macOS 10.13.2 (High Sierra) and Apple Mail 11.2

iMac, macOS High Sierra (10.13.2), 27in/2.7GHz i5/8GB RAM/1TB+10TB

Posted on Feb 28, 2018 12:17 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Feb 28, 2018 12:21 PM

Do I only need to copy the ~/Library/Mail folder to the second drive and then create a symbolic link in ~/Librarypointing to the relocated /Mail folder on the second drive?

Yes, but a symbolic link is needed and not an OS X alias.

3 replies

Move Apple Mail to separate drive

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.