Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Anyone else struggling with new trojan virus "hymnofthemac.com" ?

Recently started pop-up window re "flash player is out of date" (which is total BS), but this one is popping up through my AdBlock & Safari Content Blocking on a site that I have never had trouble with before. Checked URL which is www.hymnofthemac.com with an incorrigibly long string of letters and numbers after the / . Cannot find it on my Activity Monitor under System Preferences, & no luck with Finder, so have been unable to remove it.

iMac, OS X Yosemite (10.10.2)

Posted on Feb 28, 2018 1:51 PM

5 replies

Feb 28, 2018 1:57 PM in response to Christine1007

There are many phony installers out there for Flash Player that will install malware on your Mac. Only download Flash Player Updates via System Preferences > Flash Player > Update or from Adobe's Official Website.

If you are having trouble with Safari pop-ups or redirects, force Quit Safari ( command + option + esc keys).Then restart Safari holding the Shift key. If you still have problems Empty Caches (Safari menu > Preferences > Privacy > Remove all website data. (This will also remove history if you do not want to remove History open Safari Preferences > Advanced and check mark “Show Develop Menu” then choose “Empty Caches” from Develop Menu ).

Then go to Safari Preferences > Extensions and check there. If there is an extension delete it.

If the problem persists download and run MalwareBytes. Malwarebytes was developed by one of our own colleagues here in ASC and is about the most proven anti-malware software for Mac.

Feb 28, 2018 2:51 PM in response to macjack

Thank you "macjack." Yes, I am familiar with all of these phony installers (& the "freeze viruses") that I encountered on other websites for years; have always succeeded in avoiding a "download," or if it "auto-downloads," I moved it to the trash & emptied immediately while never opening & then cleared all Safari history. This one is a little different; somehow "hymn" gets into the system and will ALWAYS pop up afterwards even tho not auto downloaded. I have repeatedly emptied caches, or cleared all history, but I cannot find the "Process Name" under my Activity Monitor, nor have I found it in my Library folder under launch agents or launch daemons, etc. So I cannot remove it because I cannot find it. I am currently running my BitDefender to try and find it and at least quarantine if not eradicate. All I have is the URL:

www.hymnofthemac.com

I will consider checking into MalwareBytes as well since it was specifically developed by ASC. Thank you for that reference.

Anyone else struggling with new trojan virus "hymnofthemac.com" ?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.