Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

My bluetooth keyboard and majic trackpad will only work when they are charging

I've had my bluetooth accessories for probably two years. They have been working, both with and without the charging cord. Today, they would only work when the charging cord was plugged in. Is there a way to replace the batteries in them? Or otherwise repair them? I know that Apple support will replace them for $29 each. But how to diagnose?

MacBook Pro, Mac OS X (10.7.2)

Posted on Feb 28, 2018 2:53 PM

5 replies

Mar 1, 2018 4:37 AM in response to cbmattick

If they both stopped working at the same time it is unlikely to be a battery problem. More likely the computer's bluetooth is off or not working. You can test this by connecting a phone charger to the keyboard or trackpad. If it starts works, then it really is a battery problem. If it doesn't work with a charger, but does when connected to the computer, then it's a bluetooth problem.

Mar 1, 2018 1:07 PM in response to Malcolm J. Rayfield

I just did what I described earlier, what I think you want me to do. I have the trackpad next to the notebook, but plugged in to the wall. I used my notebook trackpad to access the bluetooth display. Next to the trackpad, it asks me to connect, but it is not connecting. I went into the preferences and into "set up the trackpad". It is supposed to be searching for the trackpad but cannot find it. The green light on the trackpad is on, so it should be finding it. So, based on what you said originally, this must be a bluetooth problem. How do I troubleshoot that? Or, do I need to take it to a repair place?

My bluetooth keyboard and majic trackpad will only work when they are charging

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.