Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

How Do I Set Tab Stops?

When I open Text Edit, I am immediately presented with a ruler across the top and tab stops that I can set or move around. In Pages, I am completely baffled. I try to set tab stops, but it just never works. Is there an easy way to either set tab stops or set default tab stops that will apply to all future documents?

This should be easy but Pages seems to do it in a way I have never seen before. There doesn't even seem to be a ruler at the top that shows where and what kind of tab stop have been set.

Any help would be appreciated. 😕

Mac Pro (Late 2013), OS X Yosemite (10.10.2)

Posted on Feb 28, 2018 3:24 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Feb 28, 2018 10:08 PM

Hi Mike,

In Pages, Menu > View > Show Rulers.

You will see two blue, downward pointing triangles. They are the left and right indents.

Click in the ruler to insert a tab stop. It will show as a blue, right pointing triangle. Tab stops can be dragged left or right on the ruler.

The tab stops apply to only the paragraph containing the cursor. Press enter and the new paragraph will adopt the tab stops.

To set the same tab stops in several existing paragraphs, select the paragraphs before you insert the tab stops.

But wait! There is more! Format Panel > Text > Layout > Tabs to edit the tab stops:

User uploaded file

Have a play.

set default tab stops that will apply to all future documents?

Yes, but you will need to Save As Template.

Regards,

Ian.

Similar questions

2 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Feb 28, 2018 10:08 PM in response to mike_trivisonno

Hi Mike,

In Pages, Menu > View > Show Rulers.

You will see two blue, downward pointing triangles. They are the left and right indents.

Click in the ruler to insert a tab stop. It will show as a blue, right pointing triangle. Tab stops can be dragged left or right on the ruler.

The tab stops apply to only the paragraph containing the cursor. Press enter and the new paragraph will adopt the tab stops.

To set the same tab stops in several existing paragraphs, select the paragraphs before you insert the tab stops.

But wait! There is more! Format Panel > Text > Layout > Tabs to edit the tab stops:

User uploaded file

Have a play.

set default tab stops that will apply to all future documents?

Yes, but you will need to Save As Template.

Regards,

Ian.

How Do I Set Tab Stops?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.