Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

How to get better curves with behaviours?

I use behaviours instead of key-framing in many situations. But for other situations I don't know how to get behaviours to produce the kind of curves I want. Especially I am thinking about movement of an object across X and Y axis, and the movement of the first and last point offsets with lines.

User uploaded file

This is the kind of curve I am thinking about. Is it possible to get this kind of curve using just behaviors? Or do I need to rely on key-framing for this kind of situation? I have scoured the apple support pages/user guides for the answer first but I couldn't find a clear answer.

iMac (Retina 5K, 27-inch, Late 2015), macOS Sierra (10.12), 8gig ram, amd R9 M390, core 1%

Posted on Feb 28, 2018 3:36 PM

Similar questions

7 replies

Feb 28, 2018 5:02 PM in response to rowie302

I am replying to my own question here, I couldn't edit the original. I think I have found the start of the answer to my question

On the last point offset of a line, I am pairing the 'exponential' behavior with 'logarithmic' ..which gets me something close...but still just in the ball park...not exact enough compared to what I can do with key-framing and editing the curve directly. How can I squeeze more into the curve with behaviours from this starting point?

User uploaded file

Feb 28, 2018 8:33 PM in response to rowie302

rowie302 wrote:

… thinking about movement of an object across X and Y axis, …

perhaps I'm a little bit lost in translation, but:

When you have such a curve, yours: made of four Bezier points, why not using the Motion Path behave?User uploaded file

use as Shape 'Geometry', drag your Bezier into it, and your object moves like that:

User uploaded file

Add a Snap Alignment to Motion-Behavior, and the object even points in the right direction......

Feb 28, 2018 8:48 PM in response to Karsten Schlüter

Hi Karsten, thank you for your time.

I hope this gif can explain what I mean. I key-framed the circle along the X axis, and I key-framed the line by the last point offset. I use the same kind of curve to get a slow-fast-slow movement. I want to know who to do this with behaviours instead of using keyframes.

I think I need to combine 'exponential' parameter and 'logarithmic' parameter together.....to get a similar result, but still it is not exact enough to match the key-framed result. Are there other things I can try?

User uploaded file

Feb 28, 2018 9:16 PM in response to rowie302

rowie302 wrote:

…Are there other things I can try?

think, I now understand … (sorry, early morning here, "more coffee!!" 😉 )

well, I'm aware of two options (aside key framing):

you can use the 'canned' settings about EaseOut etc in a Move Behave:

User uploaded file

or, but that comes close to manual key framing: The keyframe editor offers a Drawing Tool … so, you could 'paint' your acceleration /deceleration curves …

User uploaded file

(wow, shaky , way too much coffee, I'd say …)

=> dare to say: slammin a few keyframes together (rec-button) is faster 😝

Feb 28, 2018 9:55 PM in response to Karsten Schlüter

This is the solution I found for using behaviours...I apply the exponential parameter to the X axis, and then I apply a logarithmic parameter to follow it, and I have adjusted the start and end offsets so that they mix together....it takes a lot more time to set up than regular key-framing...but with practice it will become faster to do. From this situation, how I do anything to improve it?

User uploaded file

How to get better curves with behaviours?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.