Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

IMessage thread - copy or export all messages and pics

Use case: I need to export or copy ALL messages and pictures in a long message thread to pdf or another app ie Pages or HTML using iOS. IPhone and especially iPad Pro.

I have been unable to find a ’Select All’ option in a message thread then export. Is there a keyboard shortcut?

I have found the option to click on each circle next to an individual message line and image but there is no circle at the top or anywhere obvious which allows you to ‘Select All’ and then individually deselect things you do not want to include.

This ’circle’ option requires you to select each line you want, then click the ‘forward arrow’ and the resulting screen is apparently where you can Select All and export - that is not obvious as there is no indication that Select All is possible, screen just looks the same but with no circles so it appears to have failed to do anything.

This option is essentially really time consuming and excruciatingly tedious the other options do not seem to be available either.

Option 2

Use Case: I need to choose to start a new message thread with the same person so that it will generate a (possibly optional) exportable PDF or file etc to an iOS app.

iMessage doesn’t start a new message it appends to the existing one. After an exchange of a few messages with a person I could choose to ‘archive’ that message group to a file and then have a fresh set of messages start the next time that person and I exchange messages.

Option 3

Use Case: I need to find, identify and extract the entire contents of a long message thread from an iTunes backup to my Mac OSX computer. This is apparently doable using Windows Explorer on a PC but why can’t I do it on a Mac?

Option 4

Use Case: I connect my iOS device to a trusted Mac computer and Export an or all messages to the computer in a format appropriate for human consumption.

In each case I would save any images I really wanted to keep as quality images in iOS and the export images would be fine as lower resolution ‘PDF’ style as memory aids.

I have read the 2013 thread about this subject:

• some posts express the opinion that this is an inappropriate use of SMS, I disagree.
  • some posts recommend a third party app - I prefer not to expose my information and particularly expose my contacts to third parties.

Thanks

Mac Pro, OS X Yosemite (10.10), and New Airport Time capsule 2TB

Posted on Feb 28, 2018 5:28 PM

2 replies

Feb 28, 2018 9:07 PM in response to deggie

Thanks deggie, looks like good functionality- unfortunately it is not available on the App Store and I couldn’t see anything about Security except that it needed your backup password if you encrypt your backup.

I don’t have enough skill/time to check to see if Phoneview is phoning home with copies of my data.

IMessage thread - copy or export all messages and pics

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.