Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Message replies go to wrong device

I frequently use Messages to send a message from my iPhone to my partner's iMac. For the past few weeks, whenever he replies, the message goes to my Mac and I don't receive it at all on my phone. If it's important (and he remembers), he starts a new message thread using my mobile phone number, and that works as expected and goes to my phone. I have tried starting a brand-new message rather than replying to an existing message thread, but that makes no difference.

Both Macs are on Sierra, 10.12.6 . My iPhone is on the latest iOS, 11.2.6.

I am attaching 2 screenshots: the preferences for Messages on my Mac to show that I only use my manager email for messages; and the preferences on my iPhone to show that new conversations come from my mobile phone number.

Any ideas on why this might be happening or what I can do about it?

Thanks in advance.

User uploaded file

User uploaded file

Mac Mini Server (Late 2012), macOS Sierra (10.12.6)

Posted on Feb 28, 2018 8:23 PM

Similar questions

6 replies

Mar 1, 2018 6:55 PM in response to sberman

Thanks sberman! That didn't solve the problem, but it helped me trouble-shoot it. I might need to ring AppleCare.

This is what I saw first, showing that the message thread is linked to 3 addresses:

User uploaded file

If I start a new message, and type in my phone number, 0417 etc, it temporarily changes to this:

User uploaded file

But then when I start to type in the message field, it reverts back to the manager address, exactly like in the first screenshot. I click send, and it goes only to manager, NOT also to 0417...

Feb 28, 2018 8:30 PM in response to Peter Oram1

Thank you for providing a very clear explanation of what you're doing and what you're trying to accomplish.

Peter Oram1 wrote:

I frequently use Messages to send a message from my iPhone to my partner's iMac.

Your screen shot clearly shows that when you send a message from your iPhone, the "Start New Conversations From" indicates it will show up as coming from your telephone number. So when your partner replies, it will be sent to your telephone number.

However, the screen shot of your Mac clearly shows that you have not checked your telephone number on your Mac under "You can be reached for messages at."

So naturally your partner's responses will not show up on your Mac.

Feb 28, 2018 9:43 PM in response to Peter Oram1

I'm terribly sorry ... I clearly didn't thoroughly understand your question. You wrote it so clearly - I apologize again.

I suggest your partner check your address as (s)he replies to your message. Perhaps (s)he can click on your name if it appears at the top, and if a circled "i" appears, click there and be certain only your phone number shows up as an acceptable address to respond to.

Mar 1, 2018 8:43 PM in response to Peter Oram1

What caught my attention about your many helpful screen shots above is the presence or absence of your country code +61 (Australia) from the telephone numbers in various circumstances.

Might you have an explanation, such as doing international travels, international dialing, or some such thing? I'm wondering if that might be related to overriding your specification of the telephone number and changing to the manager address, thinking perhaps you're being aided by not having to do something internationally.

Message replies go to wrong device

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.