Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

iOS 11 Music app vs 2009 Hyundai Santa Fe

I have a 2009 Hyundai Santa Fe. I also have an iPhone 6+. I connect the iPhone to the car using a proprietary Hyundai cable (special connector on 1 end, Apple 30-pin connector on the other) and an Apple cable (30-pin to lightning).

Under iOS 9, the iPhone worked well with the car. When I connected the iPhone, it started playing and I could see track information on the radio display. When I switched to a different mode or turned off the radio, the current track paused. When I used the steering wheel Next and Previous buttons, it skipped ahead or back a track.

I recently "upgraded" to iOS 11, and it has completely ruined the Music experience in the car. Now I connect the lightning cable and I get a "Loading iPod" message on the radio display. It stays there and does not display track information. Sometimes it will play music, but not usually. I have to unplug and reconnect the iPhone - 3 times usually does the trick - before music will play through the radio. Most of the time the display shows the current track information.

If I press the Next or Previous button on the steering wheel, the music (usually) changes, but the display usually does not change track information. If I switch modes, the track keeps playing. If I turn the radio off, the track keeps playing. If I press the RDM button on the radio it does not randomize the songs.

I can start and stop playback using the phone screen. I have also figured out some ways to trick the iPhone into doing almost what I want.

None of this was an issue in iOS 9. iOS 11 makes this whole part of the iPhone a LOT less useful and friendly, and a LOT more distracting to use while driving.

I tried offloading the Music app, but then the car does not see any music on the phone at all. Other music apps work better with the car - but Apple's app wants to be the player - so you have to keep re-selecting the alternate app everytime you switch away from playing music.

Is there any way to adjust how the iPhone sends and receives control messages and track information to and from the car's audio system?

iPhone 6 Plus, iOS 11.2.6

Posted on Feb 28, 2018 6:34 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Mar 1, 2018 5:35 PM

I did look there. The car was purchased in late 2009, which is around the time of iOS 3 and the iPhone 3GS, I think. So much has changed since then, that the information is outdated.

The interesting thing to me is that this worked very differently on iOS 9. The car, cables, and phone are the same - only the iOS version was changed. The car does not allow me to patch the radio (at least not that I have ever heard of), so I am hoping there is some way to tweak or replace the iOS side to make it integrate better with the radio.

2 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Mar 1, 2018 5:35 PM in response to liv0123

I did look there. The car was purchased in late 2009, which is around the time of iOS 3 and the iPhone 3GS, I think. So much has changed since then, that the information is outdated.

The interesting thing to me is that this worked very differently on iOS 9. The car, cables, and phone are the same - only the iOS version was changed. The car does not allow me to patch the radio (at least not that I have ever heard of), so I am hoping there is some way to tweak or replace the iOS side to make it integrate better with the radio.

iOS 11 Music app vs 2009 Hyundai Santa Fe

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.