Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

What is the general resale value on iPhones?

For example let’s say 2 years after release I want to sell my iPhone 8 Plus with 256GB in Space Gray. It’s had a tempered glass screen protector and rugged case on since day 1 (so there are maybe zero scratches and the oleophobic coating is still intact), the box still has the original charger (wrapped in original plastic), Lightning Cable/EarPods/dongle (wrapped in original cardboard), and original documentation and Apple stickers. I know some of those things might not matter, but it’s to maximize my return. What’s the general amount or percentage you can usually get back on iPhones in the ”like new” condition mine is in?

iPhone 8 Plus, iOS 11.2.6, 256GB in Space Gray

Posted on Feb 28, 2018 7:20 PM

5 replies

Feb 28, 2018 8:55 PM in response to Colton Kiefer

I don't think applying anything with an adhesive necessarily means the coating will be intact. If someone tries to remove the protector the coating will come off to some degree.

It might be worth something, but it's depreciating as soon as you bought it. If it's in good condition and never gets any aftermarket parts then I'd think it's still worth a few hundred dollars. However, an iPhone will rapidly lose more value for every new iPhone that comes out. That's just the way technology is.

Mar 1, 2018 1:21 AM in response to y_p_w

You're right, you might as well apply the new car theory to this. As soon as you drive it off the dealer's lot, it's depreciating. As soon as you take it out of the box, it's depreciating.

I will say this, and we've covered this before (you and me y_p_w). If it's locked to a provider, you'll get less for it. If it's unlocked, you'll get 30-50% more for it, because of the fact it's unlocked.

The way technology is? You hit the nail on the head.

Mar 1, 2018 7:35 AM in response to Colton Kiefer

You can check the buy back value for devices yourself - the Apple recycle program gives estimates, as will gazelle.com, Amazon.com and other for-profit recycle and buy back sites. Not all of these buy-back sites are buying in order to resell or recycle for their own profit. So of course they are not going to offer as much as you are likely to get selling it yourself.

As as with most things, it will depend on market demand, features and conditions of devices. It’s not something that anyone can predict with any sort of reliability or accuracy years out.

What is the general resale value on iPhones?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.