Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Does Apple Backup the iCloud Drive for you, similarly how the iPhones back up?

I'm currently using the iCloud Drive on High Sierra 10.13.3. I also use Time Machine to backup my hard drive on my MacBook Pro vs. 2017. I know that Time Machine backs up certain files stored on iCloud, but does it back up your iCloud Drive? I'm wondering if I delete a file by accident on the iCloud Drive, can I restore it? Or, is it lost forever. I'm not referring to the documents folder, photos or any of the other document folders that Time Machine backs up. I'm referring specifically to the iCloud Drive. Also, the file structure and not being able to organize the iCloud Drive is poor. I hope Apple upgrades the iCloud Drive. 😀 Thanks for your help.

MacBook Pro TouchBar and Touch ID

Posted on Feb 28, 2018 7:46 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Mar 2, 2018 12:57 PM

I just checked and you are correct in that Time Machine backs up the Documents folder. But I'm not seeing the files/folders that I have uploaded to the "iCloud" Drive. In the picture attached, the document are being backed up. But my question is on the documents under iCloud.

User uploaded file

5 replies

Mar 2, 2018 12:56 PM in response to Eric Root

So here is the deal. Yes, you can see the files in Mobile Documents. That's where I looked first. But, when I did the same search on the Time Machine back up drive that folder was not in the Library. I eventually had to open Time Machine and check to see if the files where being backed up. And they indeed are being done. I needed proof, not just taking someone's word for it . LOL . I did call Apple Support and they confirmed that the Mobile Document folder would not show up on the drive in finder, but you can see the files in Time Machine. That's all I care about. As long as I can recover a file on the iCloud drive, I'm good to go.

Hey thanks Eric. I'm glad you kept following up! Have a great day.

Mar 1, 2018 3:30 PM in response to LostNCode

Go to Finder and select your user/home folder. With that Finder window as the front window, either select Finder/View/Show View options or go command - J. When the View options opens, check ’Show Library Folder’. That should make your user library folder visible in your user/home folder. Select Library/Mobile Documents. The files should be there.

As a test, disconnect your computer from the Internet. If you can still access the files in iCloud Drive, they have to be on your computer.

Does Apple Backup the iCloud Drive for you, similarly how the iPhones back up?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.