Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Album Disappeared from Apple Music and iTunes

Just last month (January 2018) I was listening to Play & Play: The B-Sides by Moby. I believe it is a 2009 re-release/compilation of Moby's Play (1999) and his Play: The B-Sides (2000).
Today (28 February 2018) I was not able to find it on Apple Music on my phone or on iTunes on my PC. It has not been "replaced" with the original album, it seems to have just been pulled altogether. There are quite a few songs on that album that cannot be found anywhere else.

I have a vague understanding that the record label has to renew its contract with Apple in order for the album to remain on Apple Music, and I'm assuming that the contract expired. Can anyone explain how this works? Does anyone even know? A basic internet search has only given me a basic understanding of the music streaming business, and the unanswered questions are leaving me frustrated. (Is there any way for me to know how/when/if a particular label will renew a contract? Is there a way to know which albums are included in each contract? Is there any way to stay updated on when an album's contract is expiring and will soon be pulled from Apple Music?)

I'm pretty bummed that I can't enjoy some of my favorite Moby jams, and if this turns out to be a recurring problem with Apple Music, I might have to switch over to Spotify, which seems to be more consistent with its selection based on conversations I've had with friends and my own personal experience.

I guess my biggest question is: when an album disappears, is it likely to return or should I not hold my breath?

Posted on Feb 28, 2018 8:27 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Mar 1, 2018 9:06 AM

I noticed this earlier in the month when I went to the iTunes store to "complete" the album. And it's not just Apple. Play, Play B-sides, and the combination album have all been pulled from EVERY streaming and download service. Even Amazon only lists the physical album for sale now.

I've searched for a reason, but have only speculation. Moby has listed his LA mansion for sale, and says the fame he received upon Play's release turned him into the worst version of himself. I think he probably had the album pulled himself.

6 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Mar 1, 2018 9:06 AM in response to elJasono

I noticed this earlier in the month when I went to the iTunes store to "complete" the album. And it's not just Apple. Play, Play B-sides, and the combination album have all been pulled from EVERY streaming and download service. Even Amazon only lists the physical album for sale now.

I've searched for a reason, but have only speculation. Moby has listed his LA mansion for sale, and says the fame he received upon Play's release turned him into the worst version of himself. I think he probably had the album pulled himself.

Mar 1, 2018 10:18 AM in response to Sovaesovae

That makes sense, thanks. It's too bad though; that album hasn't made me a worse person. I hope he eventually allows it to return.
That's the same thing I found when I looked for the albums. I did find all of the songs on Spotify, but I just double-checked and it's a user-made playlist, not the actual album.

I didn't mean to overreact or freak out at Apple, but this isn't the first time an album has disappeared on me on iTunes -- I'm guessing it's just a coincidence though and not a recurring problem.

Mar 2, 2018 2:29 AM in response to elJasono

Hi

I have recently come across this issue too, with several Ray LaMontagne albums (Trouble, Till the Sun Turns Black and Gossip in the Grain) and a Two Gallants album (The Bloom and Blight).

I have both Apple Music and Spotify and all the aforementioned albums cease to exist on both platforms; you can' even buy them outright on iTunes.

What's more confusing is that Ray LaMontagne has released all six of his albums on RCA Records - his last three are available and his first three are not...why!? Also, The Bloom and Blight album is apparently available if you live in Canada but not in the UK, yet their four other albums are all available here in the UK.

I'm sure there are many more albums that have now disappeared too. The most frustrating aspect of it is there is, seemingly, no information available online as to if/when these albums will become available again; i.e. should I buy the physical album (for the second time for a couple of those listed above - now lost/thrown out) or will they return to the streaming platforms in, say, a couple of weeks?

Would be great to hear from anyone else with any more info on this...

Cheers.

Mar 12, 2018 10:49 AM in response to elJasono

The music would disappear even if you had downloaded it; you would need to have purchased it to retain your copy. Only today the album Frames by Lee Dewyze disappeared from my iPad and I had downloaded it; all his other albums are still available. As this was released on another label I can only assume that they have revoked iTunes's right to stream the album. ??

Album Disappeared from Apple Music and iTunes

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.