Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Mail occasionally freezes when I close it

For the last few days when I "command Q" Mail, it occasionally stays open. The window closes but the application stays open and, unable to reopen the window, I have to do a forced quit to get the application to close. Any ideas why this is happening and how I can get it to stop?

iMac, macOS High Sierra (10.13.3), Mac (Retina 4K, 21.5-inch, 2017)

Posted on Feb 28, 2018 10:22 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Mar 1, 2018 8:29 AM

Here are some basic steps to follow, but isolating the cause might be an exercise in frustration.

The last two suggestions are described in greater detail here: Set up Mail with email accounts - Apple Support.

Create a backup if you haven't done that already. To learn how to use Time Machine please read How to use Time Machine to back up or restore your Mac - Apple Support. That doesn't have anything to do with your Mail difficulties; it just goes without saying that you should have a backup.

Also, if you are using any non-Apple "anti-virus", "cleaning", "washing", "maintenance" or similarly categorized junk on your Mac including "Internet security" or "banking security" products, don't. That also just goes without saying.

2 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Mar 1, 2018 8:29 AM in response to Cuenlain

Here are some basic steps to follow, but isolating the cause might be an exercise in frustration.

The last two suggestions are described in greater detail here: Set up Mail with email accounts - Apple Support.

Create a backup if you haven't done that already. To learn how to use Time Machine please read How to use Time Machine to back up or restore your Mac - Apple Support. That doesn't have anything to do with your Mail difficulties; it just goes without saying that you should have a backup.

Also, if you are using any non-Apple "anti-virus", "cleaning", "washing", "maintenance" or similarly categorized junk on your Mac including "Internet security" or "banking security" products, don't. That also just goes without saying.

Mail occasionally freezes when I close it

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.