Announcement: Upgrade to macOS Mojave

With features like Dark Mode, Stacks, and four new built-in apps, macOS Mojave helps you get more out of every click. 
Find out how to upgrade to macOS Mojave > https://support.apple.com/macos/mojave

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Question:

Question: Mail occasionally freezes when I close it

For the last few days when I "command Q" Mail, it occasionally stays open. The window closes but the application stays open and, unable to reopen the window, I have to do a forced quit to get the application to close. Any ideas why this is happening and how I can get it to stop?

iMac, macOS High Sierra (10.13.3), Mac (Retina 4K, 21.5-inch, 2017)

Posted on

Question marked as Solved
Answer:
Answer:

Here are some basic steps to follow, but isolating the cause might be an exercise in frustration.

The last two suggestions are described in greater detail here: Set up Mail with email accounts - Apple Support.

Create a backup if you haven't done that already. To learn how to use Time Machine please read How to use Time Machine to back up or restore your Mac - Apple Support. That doesn't have anything to do with your Mail difficulties; it just goes without saying that you should have a backup.

Also, if you are using any non-Apple "anti-virus", "cleaning", "washing", "maintenance" or similarly categorized junk on your Mac including "Internet security" or "banking security" products, don't. That also just goes without saying.

Posted on

Question marked as Solved

Mar 1, 2018 8:29 AM in response to Cuenlain In response to Cuenlain

Here are some basic steps to follow, but isolating the cause might be an exercise in frustration.

The last two suggestions are described in greater detail here: Set up Mail with email accounts - Apple Support.

Create a backup if you haven't done that already. To learn how to use Time Machine please read How to use Time Machine to back up or restore your Mac - Apple Support. That doesn't have anything to do with your Mail difficulties; it just goes without saying that you should have a backup.

Also, if you are using any non-Apple "anti-virus", "cleaning", "washing", "maintenance" or similarly categorized junk on your Mac including "Internet security" or "banking security" products, don't. That also just goes without saying.

Mar 1, 2018 8:29 AM

Reply Helpful
User profile for user: Cuenlain

Question: Mail occasionally freezes when I close it