Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

continued from a previous discussion: “How can I remove Library from Spotlight searches?”

continued from a previous discussion: “How can I remove Library from Spotlight searches?”

URL https://discussions.apple.com/thread/7603110?answerId=30383471022#30383471022 :

i am surprised that Frederic did not thank you or reply at all, leroydouglas, but your answer was totally helpful, so i thank you! 🙂

And very cool tips on those little shortcuts too. 🙂

(I know i’m dropping in a lot later here, but i happened upon this when googling for the answer myself.)

I do have a question about it, still:

when i dragged that library to the Privacy field of the Spotlight Preferences, it disappeared in a “poof”.

So then i tried dragging one of my own home subfolders there to see if it would stay, but again that “poof”.

And trying to find that subfolder again after that was not so easy, since it also disappeared from my sidebar—

and of course i could not do a search for it.

So my question is: is that disappearance poof” supposed to happen?

Then,

after i did dig manually and find that missing subfolder and put it back into my sidebar, i added it to the Privacy field of the Spotlight Preferences another way, by clicking on the “+” sign. And this way it actually stayed in the field!

So how is this method somehow creating different results?

(as for the other member’s answer posted, i found its first comments to be incomplete, and/or not so helpful (no offense meant—!…just saying.)

EG, when it says,

“Set the Search choice's dropdown menu to Search the Current folder rather than a full system search”—

doing this would stop the user from being able to search their whole mac for things, and limit them to just whatever folder they happen to be in. So that would entail an extra step required to open another folder for, say, their home folder.

And, anything they might want to include from any other user’s folders would not be searched either.

Also, i would guess, probably not other potentially desired locations either, such as calculator and conversions (though perhaps i am mistaken on this?)

And on “If Spotlight is always searching the Library folder then you may have changed its status from invisible to visible

or it has been placed on Spotlight's list of locations.”,

For the second part, it looks to me like there is no option to place it on Spotlight’s search list anyway (at least on my mac OS), and

the first part may be true, but if the user really had changed its status from invisible to visible unwittingly, chances are they would need to be explained how they could undo that change.

So for those who may have that problem, you can try opening the Finder menu’s View: “show view options”, and see if “show library folder” is checked.

iMac, OS X El Capitan (10.11.6)

Posted on Mar 1, 2018 1:33 AM

Similar questions

There are no replies.

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.