Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Loud iMac grinding noise on system wake

My old and much-loved late 2007 24in 2.4GHz Intel Core Duo iMac running Os 10.6.8 makes a loud/terrifying/prolonged grinding noise whenever I wake it from sleep - but only on very cold days!

It sounds like this guy's noise: 2012 iMac makes loud scratching noise when waking up from s - YouTube

My noise doesn't ever occur after I have been using the iMac for a few minutes. It only happens when I wake the computer from sleep on very cold days - usually first thing in the morning before my house has got up to temperature but it can happen later in the day too if my office heating is turned off.

The noise usually lasts for 3-4 minutes and gradually diminishes to silence, whereafter the computer runs happily without complaining, even under intense load.

Hardware temperature readouts look normal and the computer still operates normally while it is making this noise; but it's loud enough to wake the neighbours!

Any clues? I've been searching but found nothing. TIA.

iMac 2.4GHz, MBP 2.2GHz, Dual G5, Mac OS X (10.5.3), TiBook 1GHz, PM7500

Posted on Mar 1, 2018 5:01 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Mar 1, 2018 11:09 AM

In the Spec's > iMac (Mid 2007) - Technical Specifications Apple clearly states the environmental requirements. User uploaded file

Insides of that iMac there are 4 moving components, a Hard Drive and 3 fans. If you are turning on and operating your Mac below that requirement, then you risk damaging those components. In addition if there is a lot of moisture present in your office, then the fans could actually be iced up and complaining when you first wake or start it up.

Similar questions

8 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Mar 1, 2018 11:09 AM in response to pr100

In the Spec's > iMac (Mid 2007) - Technical Specifications Apple clearly states the environmental requirements. User uploaded file

Insides of that iMac there are 4 moving components, a Hard Drive and 3 fans. If you are turning on and operating your Mac below that requirement, then you risk damaging those components. In addition if there is a lot of moisture present in your office, then the fans could actually be iced up and complaining when you first wake or start it up.

Mar 1, 2018 11:09 AM in response to pr100

Can you give us actual room temps? That may hep us with diagnosis.

Until I listened to the YT clip I was going to ask if you had left a disk in the optical drive. However the noise is the clip is higher-pitched and more continuous than the cgating nises even a healthy opticals drive will make with a disk in place.

I'm leaning to a cooling fan that is both dirty and cold. Ten+ years of dirt on the blades will slow fan rotation at any temperature. Add the cold and the fan could be struggling to start turning even if it isn't frozen.

If it is the fans, they are not easily serviceable even for cleaning. Apple won't service a Mac that old. You may need to add supplemental heat to the room to prevent further damage.

Mar 1, 2018 11:23 AM in response to den.thed

Thank you. I would guess that I'm sometimes outside that temperature range. My central heating doesn't come on until 6.30am and I sometimes get up early and wake up the iMac before the ambient temperature has reached 10 degrees - although the noise sometimes occurs later in the day, some hours after I have turned off the supplementary heating in the office. But the temperature in the adjoining room is around 23 degrees so I doubt the office could have dropped below 10. I will now check though.

This iMac is powered up 24/7 and I can't remember getting the noise on any of my rare startups. Maybe I will try powering down tonight and see what happens in the morning.

I will experimentally change my energy saver settings too - just in case setting the computer to never sleep will cure it.

This week, outdoor temperatures when I first wake the computer have been around minus 5 degrees - and I would guess around plus 5 degrees in my office before the heating comes on.

Mar 1, 2018 11:34 AM in response to Allan Jones

Thanks Allan. I added some temperature information in my reply to den.thed (forgetting to say that the air is quite dry in my house so I doubt it's a humidity issue).

My optical drive is capable of making some interesting noises when it's trying to read or eject an uncooperative disc but nothing similar to this noise. Anyway, it is invariably empty. I don't know anything about fans - why would a cooling fan come on when the computer and everything else is cold?

I accept there could be dirt and dust in there; but I have opened this iMac up on a couple of occasions to swap something out and clean the inside of the screen and I gave it a good dusting each time. So the accumulation is likely 3-4 years' worth.

If nothing else works, I might have to take it apart again.

Mar 1, 2018 12:02 PM in response to babowa

We don't often get that low here in tropical Berkshire, England but we've had a few days of it lately. I agree my iMac owes me nothing but I also run a modern Mini and MacBook Pro and Os 10.6.8 is so much better imho that I would be grief-stricken to lose it. I could buy an old Mac on eBay but you can never know what problems come with it.

Mar 1, 2018 12:08 PM in response to pr100

I don't know anything about fans - why would a cooling fan come on when the computer and everything else is cold?

Because the fans always run at their default speeds, whenever you startup or wake the iMac.

You might be able to identify which fan is making the noise by where you are hearing the noise.

As you are facing the front of the iMac,

the CPU fan is on the lower left side and pulls air in thru the grill on the bottom left side

the Hard Drive fan is mid center on the back and pulls air in from the round vent behind the stand

the Optical Drive fan is mid center on the right side and pulls air in from the grill on the bottom right side

Mar 2, 2018 1:07 AM in response to Allan Jones

So this morning, which dawned at about minus 4 degrees outside, I checked the ambient temperature in my office when I came down (about 5 minutes after the central heating system had fired up) and it was 13 degrees so it's very likely that I have sometimes woken my iMac when the temperature was below the operating spec.

Last night, I set Energy Saver to never allow the computer to sleep so only my screen was dark when I opened up. And there was no noise - presumably because no fans fired up. Nothing conclusive yet but this would be an acceptable workaround if a cure isn't practicable. I will also try powering down overnight with my previous Energy Saver settings.

What is it costing me to leave the computer awake 24/7? I assume it is consuming more power even though inactive…and also that it will hasten its EOL. But the end can't be far away anyway on an 11-year old computer.

Loud iMac grinding noise on system wake

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.