Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Uses for Thunderbolt 2 ports

My iMac is, sadly, just a little too old to have Thunderbolt 3/USB3 ports.

I have been able to find almost nothing that will connect to the Thunderbolt 2 ports. Not even an adapter.

I am even operating an external SSD through an ordinary USB port. This works OK.

I'm sure someone out there will prove me wrong.

Thanks

Laurence

iMac (Retina 5K, 27-inch, Late 2015), macOS Sierra (10.12)

Posted on Mar 1, 2018 6:43 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Mar 1, 2018 7:49 AM

Unfortunately not a lot of drive manufactures embraced or made Thunderbolt drives and so they are very expensive compared to the more common USB 3.0 drives.

OWC has Thunderbolt and Thunderbolt 2 hard drives, plus expansion docks and adapters.

look half way down the page, at > Thunderbolt External Hard Drives, Docks, Adapters and More

You can also use your Thunderbolt port for an external Display using a Mini DisplayPort or Thunderbolt adapter.

4 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Mar 1, 2018 7:49 AM in response to LCWyche

Unfortunately not a lot of drive manufactures embraced or made Thunderbolt drives and so they are very expensive compared to the more common USB 3.0 drives.

OWC has Thunderbolt and Thunderbolt 2 hard drives, plus expansion docks and adapters.

look half way down the page, at > Thunderbolt External Hard Drives, Docks, Adapters and More

You can also use your Thunderbolt port for an external Display using a Mini DisplayPort or Thunderbolt adapter.

Mar 1, 2018 7:36 AM in response to LCWyche

thunderbolt 2 has the same connector and works with all thunderbolt 1 devices just at a higher speed

one can connect external storage and extra monitors and dock station with extra ports and various converters to thunderbolt

if you mean ordinary usb port mean usb2 then it would be a shame ssd harddisk can transfer 500+MB/sec and usb2 can transfer around 30MB/sec so usb2 is even a limitation for a normal magnetic harddisk which can transfer around 100MB/sec

https://www.lacie.com/gb/en/professional/d2/

thunderbolt external ssd

thunderbolt to displayport

thunderbolt dock

Uses for Thunderbolt 2 ports

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.