Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Could putting the folder iCloud in the trash at Library effect iCloud loading at Apple/SystemPreferences?

Last year had a pop-up window related to iCloud and successfully followed suggestions on Apple Discussion for emptying certain User/Home caches, including the folder iCloud at ~/Library/ApplicationsSupport/folder.

The procedure worked but now when I go to Apple System Preferences/ iCloud it says iCloud Loading....

at the top of the panel but doesn't load, and if I move the curser off of the iCloud icon there is beachballing

so that the only way out is to force quit SysPref. Could this difficulty be related to putting the folder iCloud

at ~/Library/ApplicationsSupport/folder into the trash??

Using Yosemite 10.10.5 and Apple System Preferences 14.0 on a MacBook Air (mid 2013) and no other iOS

devices.

MacBook Air (13-inch Mid 2013), OS X Yosemite (10.10.5), Memory4GB1600MHz,Processor1.3GHz

Posted on Mar 1, 2018 6:55 AM

Similar questions

3 replies

Mar 1, 2018 11:47 AM in response to allan299

Might be a corrupt .plist.

Do a backup, preferably 2 backups on 2 separate drives.

Quit System Preferences.

Go to Finder and select your user/home folder. With that Finder window as the front window, either select Finder/View/Show View options or go command - J. When the View options opens, check ’Show Library Folder’. That should make your user library folder visible in your user/home folder. Select Library. Then go to Preferences/com.apple.systempreferences.plist. Move the .plist to your desktop.

Restart the computer, open the application, and test. If it works okay, delete the plist from the desktop.

If the application is the same, return the .plist to where you got it from, overwriting the newer one.

Thanks to leonie for some information contained in this.

For Photos, try going to System Preferences/iCloud and stop syncing by unchecking the box. Wait a couple of minutes, then check syncing.

Last resort - have you tried signing out of iCloud and then sign back in?

Mar 1, 2018 12:28 PM in response to Eric Root

I'll answer your last question first: yes I have tried signing out of iCloud and then signing back in (but it

had no effect on the problem.)

Thank you for your reply but it doesn't really answer my concern.

Actually it was your suggestion that I do a described, which did get rid of a scam involving iCloud popup asking for my Apple ID and password BUT as I say here, then too part of the correction process was, emptying certain User/Home caches, including the folder iCloud at ~/Library/ApplicationsSupport/folder. That happened in Nov 2017 and since Nov 2017 iPhotos stopped saving images in the MacBook Air Photos 1.0.1 that I am using.

Might this action be related to my current issue, since currently when I go to the Apple

System Preference 14.0, and click on the iCloud icon it shows 'iCloud loading....' but doesn't load (and when I move the curser anywhere within the SysPref panel there is beach balling happening and I have to force quit

SysPref to close the panel . -- My question (above) is: Since I put the ~/Library/ApplicationsSupport/folder (iCloud folder) into the trash in Nov 2017 could this be the source and reason for the the message 'iCloud loading...' on SysPref?

My understanding is that a .plist file is a preference file for an application that holds the preference settings for it-- and that if you put it in the trash then you have to 'relaunch the app and reset user preference for that app as if using for the first time.' In 2017 Nov, I put the iCloud .plist folder into the trash -- might this be why when

I click the iCloud icon in Apple Sys Pref it indicates 'iCloud loading...' without resulting in opening the panel of preference for iCloud? (This is what I would like to know.)

And , anyway, if my understading is correct: how does one relaunch the app and greet user preferences once the .plist folder for iCloud in deleted from Trash?

I notice that in your current advice you mention putting the the Preferences/com.apple.systempreferences.plist folder onto the desktop to test if it is related to the issue --- would doing this result in having to go through all of the Apple system preferences default settings to customize them to one's needs, as one did on first setting up the computer?

In your answer here you say:

"Restart the computer, open the application, and test. If it works okay, delete the plist from the desktop.

If the application is the same, return the .plist to where you got it from, overwriting the newer one."

How does one return the .plist to here it came from? Does the newer one automatically go somewhere

when this is done?

Thank you for your time and consideration.

Could putting the folder iCloud in the trash at Library effect iCloud loading at Apple/SystemPreferences?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.