Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Aperture and Photos issues

Please help with my Aperture crashing!

(I am a photographer and I have built a 7.5T size Aperture library since version 1.0. I am currently stuck with Aperture since i have many photo albums been built, files been rated and flagged, faces been recognized and labeled, places with GSP informations. So it is very hard to migrate to Photos or Lightrooms without sacrificing something. Currently, I use MacPro first generation with 32GB, Aperture 3.6, Promise disk array)

After High Sierra, Aperture 1) crashed when I edit large photos, 2) can't import iPhone X photos (show only 15 photos instead of 1900), 3) crashed while rebuilding the library, 4) If I just try to laugh with repair, it opens and able to work for a while and then it will quit unexpectedly.

A few Aperture known issues before the High Sierra upgrad. 1) photos can be synced via iTunes to a new iphone or wiped cleaned iPhones in the first time. After that, I am not able to sync new photos added to the Aperture library. 2) Cant display Quicktime movies. 3) can't display certain photos while Photos and Preview can display.

I have used Apples for over 30 years. I really wish this almost-trillion dollar company can spare a few millions to support loyal customers like us here.

Thanks,

Oliver

Posted on Mar 1, 2018 8:45 AM

2 replies

Mar 1, 2018 1:20 PM in response to olibeaver

I am currently stuck with Aperture since i have many photo albums been built, files been rated and flagged, faces been recognized and labeled, places with GSP informations

Photos 3.0 for Mac on High Sierra will preserve the albums, the faces, and the ratings, also the GPS locations. But is is in no way a professional application, and no adaquate replacement for Aperture. (How Photos handles content and metadata from iPhoto and Aperture - Apple Support) It may be useful to to be able tp browse your Aperture libraries, however, if Aperture keeps crashing.

2) can't import iPhone X photos (show only 15 photos instead of 1900)

Are you shooting your iPhone photos using the HEIF format? You may need to set the iPhone X to take the photos in a more compatible format, see: Using HEIF or HEVC media on Apple devices - Apple Support

Another possible reason for Aperture not seeing your iPhone photos may be iCloud Photo Library. On iOS 11 devices iCloud Photo Library may be enabled by defaol, without you notocing it. Then you may not be able to download the photos from the iPhone, because theey are not on the device but in iCloud.

Mar 1, 2018 1:51 PM in response to léonie

Thank you for the reply. I will move my library to Lightroom and Photos eventually. Lightroom for work, Photos for iPhone photo backups, and still keep a set of aperture as archive.

Aperture has an album design feature with templates. I was refer to those albums which I have designed for clients over the years. I spent many days on my own customized templates too. That workflow was very good and still missing from Photos and Lightroom.

Most of apertures’ issues are related to lacking of updated support. Somehow the latest MacOS supports new formats on the system level but aperture doesn’t on the application level. The latest crash after High Sierra update could be a memory issue. The computer got frozen, but aperture is still working in the background. I can still access the computer from another computer on network.

Anyhow, I hope someone can figure out a fix on this.

Oliver

Aperture and Photos issues

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.