Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Has anybody else had similar experience?

Dear Apple Support,

You have created a royal mess with your security administration. According a “supervisor John”, my Apple ID was locked because of too many attempts to enter password. When I tried to unlock, I realized that I did not have the trusted phone number. According to John, this means, that meansthat my access to my Apple ID and the functions and data related to it is forever lost. This includes all apps I have obtained, all data (pictures, books, documents etc.) stored on ICloud .... . As a matter of fact, the fat fingers event will pretty soon render my phone and iPad because the information in the apps, which now will not be backed up.

Truly a situation you can include in your brightest achievements, especially since I am a retiree on fixed income.Apple Support staff has provided, it can be best described as going through the motions. Even though Imay have had my share (forgetting the trustedphone number) in the process, I would never have expected the Support Staf to concentrate 99% to proving that Apple had not done anything wrong and that they had only adhered to Company policy. It would seem reasonable to start the search for a solution from finding out when, from where and by whom the trusted phone number was first time established. If that level of audit trail is not availble, the problem is by far larger.

Truly a situation you can include in your brightest achievements, especially since I am a retiree on fixed income.

As a matter of fact, it is not even necessary for the user, the owner oftheApple ID to do anything. Since for example iCloud can be accessed from a Windows PC and because the Apple ID is the users e- mail address, anybody can go to iCloud and enter an e-mail address. If he then tries few passwords, the users Apple ID will be locked.

iPad Mini Wi-Fi + Cellular, iOS 10.3.2

Posted on Mar 1, 2018 10:11 AM

Similar questions

5 replies

Mar 1, 2018 10:30 AM in response to kyosti17

If you can‘t sign in with two-step verification using your Apple ID -

https://support.apple.com/HT202649

When you have two-step verification for your Apple ID, you'll always need at least two of the following to sign in:

Your Apple ID password

Access to one of your trusted devices

Your Recovery Key

If you've permanently lost any two of these items, you can't sign in or regain access to your account. You'll need to create a new Apple ID.

Two-step verification is optional but it does add an extra level of security which some elect to use with the consequence if they forget access then all is lost. People responding here are other users like you and while I commiserate with you (I too am on fixed income) I understand Apple's position in placing importance on people's security. They have no way of knowing if some caller is actually the true owner of an account. Unless they were to set up some truly onerous method such as requiring all people wishing extra security to submit fingerprints to a local store and make you go down to one to prove you are you then they are just taking the security of your account as seriously as you seem to have desired in using the verification setup you chose. I agree having an email address as part of the AppleID is a weakness and leaves an account open to idle attempts at hacking which then locks the account. I suggest you leave feedback.

http://www.apple.com/feedback/itunesapp.html

Mar 1, 2018 12:32 PM in response to Limnos

Dear Limnos,

I have probably lost access to my old ID permanently. I have nothing against creating a new ID, as a matter of fact I had to create anew ID in order to getto this arena. My problem are the apps, settings etc that I have built over the years. If I new how to move these to new ID, I would not bother you or apple support.

I have a reason to believe that the excessive attempts that caused the locking of the ID, were part of an unauthorized attempt to access my ID. (I actually received a couple of notices from apple? to that effect).

It is acually logical, that if someone tries to access your iCloud account and in the process tries few different passwords, this results in the locking of the ID (Unless Apple has a separate password authentication module for every app.).

Has anybody else had similar experience?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.