Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

iMessage on Mac stopped working, but FaceTime still works

I'm seeking some help on what I can do to get iMessage to work on my Macbook Pro again. They stopped syncing with my computer about a month ago and I get errors when trying to send messages from my computer (everything is working fine on my phone). I've gone through the checklists of fixes that usually work to solve this issue (restarting iPhone/Mac, software updates, force quitting messages, signing out/signing in, ensuring text message forwarding is on, etc), but nothing seems to help. I also noticed that FaceTime from my Mac is still working fine, so the problem is limited to iMessages on my computer. Thanks!

MacBook Pro with Retina display, iOS 11.2.6

Posted on Mar 1, 2018 11:22 AM

1 reply

Mar 1, 2018 2:44 PM in response to noelle100

This exact sequence worked for me when a similar problem happened. It was a different order of troubleshooting than I had tried before...

1. unchecked the "enable this account" button in Messages Preferences (in the program) on macOS
  2. Quit Messages and re-launched Messages
  3. signed back in - Messages immediately prompted me for an account. After signing in I sent a message to my phone number, which came from my Apple ID and not my number. My number was not an option for the "start new conversations from" in Messages Preferences
  4. disabled WiFi calls on other devices in iOS settings
  5. on iPhone, went out of and back into the setting and re-enabled WiFi calls on other devices. I got an error that iCloud and FaceTime needed to be signed in to the same account. So in FaceTime settings on the iPhone, there was an option to use my Apple ID, which I selected and then the option greyed out. There was no confirmation that this worked other than to have the option no longer be available.
  6. back to "WiFi calls on other devices" in iOS settings - enabled it
  7. sent a text from the iPhone to myself. On the MBP, Messages prompted me to use my phone number. I accepted. I still had to set it as default "start new conversations from" in Messages Preferences.

iMessage on Mac stopped working, but FaceTime still works

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.