Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

FaceTime international call to non iPhone ? and is it free?

I made FaceTime international call using WiFi not to iphone or apple device successfully dialing using the FaceTime application contact list!

But my carrier charged me as for regular international call!!!

Is such intentional call not free of charge? since I used my WiFi and dialed using the FaceTime application contacts list?

Posted on Mar 1, 2018 10:54 AM

7 replies

Mar 1, 2018 11:05 AM in response to ChrisJ4203

When I used FaceTime application I entered its contacts list and simply dialed to non apple phone using my WiFi and it worked and I was charged as regular international call. Is the FaceTime contacts list is including all of them and in case I dial to non Apple device it makes a regular call that is charged and not FaceTime free call?

Mar 1, 2018 11:12 AM in response to odedfromherzliya

Someone should actually not show up in FaceTime list if you cannot FaceTime them, but was this just an audio call, or a regular FaceTime video call?

EDIT: I just entered my FaceTime app and found one of the people that does not have an iOS device. I was able to open their contact, and it indicates they do not have the option for Video, but I can see their phone number. I'm not sure exactly what it would do, since I cannot call this person right now. However, if they have a non-iOS device, you cannot FaceTime them, and I would have to guess that it goes through as a regular phone call. If it is international, then it would be international.

Mar 1, 2018 1:58 PM in response to odedfromherzliya

That is correct. I would not use the FaceTime app. Just go to the user's contact card to make your call. If they are not an Apple user, you will not be able to make a FaceTime audio, or a FaceTime video call. Not sure why you would have attempted that, but a non-iOS device cannot do any type of FaceTime call. If you wish to use a wi-fi call, that would only work if your carrier supports wi-fi calling, and I would check with them to be sure that a wi-fi call would not be charged as an international cell call. That or use something like Skype.

Mar 1, 2018 2:12 PM in response to ChrisJ4203

But it is confusing and not friendly if the FaceTime application allows to make an audio call using its contacts list performing a regular call instead misleading the user. It should be allowed and performed only if the other side has Apple device as done for video calls! I think it is a bugg that should be fixed as done for video calls.

FaceTime international call to non iPhone ? and is it free?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.