Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Mac desktop (High Sierra) does not recognize Photoshop as a default program

Hi all!

I've been an Apple/Mac user since the mid-80s and this is the first time I've had this problem.

Either updating Photoshop CC (2018) or updating to High Sierra has caused my default programs to go odd. For some reason, I cannot get .jpg, .png, .gif, etc. to open in Photoshop by default. When I get info/change, Photoshop isn't even listed as one of the options. I have to go hunt for it in "other." The "suggested" programs are listed in a screen shot below.

"Change all" has zero effect whatsoever. Yesterday I saved some new images as .PSD and when I double-clicked to open them after lunch, they tried to open in Illustrator instead. It's as if the Mac is blind to Photoshop's existence, no matter how often I point to it.

This is making me a bit nuts. Please help.

User uploaded file

iMac with Retina 5K display, macOS High Sierra (10.13.3), Photoshop CC 2018 19.1.1

Posted on Mar 1, 2018 11:02 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Mar 5, 2018 11:58 AM

I would rebuild the LaunchServices database. This is done from Terminal.app found in Applications/Utilities

copy and paste, hit the return(enter) and let it run its course:

/System/Library/Frameworks/CoreServices.framework/Versions/A/Frameworks/LaunchSe rvices.framework/Versions/A/Support/lsregister -kill -r -domain local -domain system -domain user && killall SystemUIServer

Then restart your computer as normal.

6 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Mar 5, 2018 11:58 AM in response to Tracie_V

I would rebuild the LaunchServices database. This is done from Terminal.app found in Applications/Utilities

copy and paste, hit the return(enter) and let it run its course:

/System/Library/Frameworks/CoreServices.framework/Versions/A/Frameworks/LaunchSe rvices.framework/Versions/A/Support/lsregister -kill -r -domain local -domain system -domain user && killall SystemUIServer

Then restart your computer as normal.

Mac desktop (High Sierra) does not recognize Photoshop as a default program

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.