Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Quicklaunch keyboard shortcut to start imessage high sierra

Hi, I have been using some of the automator and services methods to set up keyboard shortcuts to launch specific functions directly from the keyboard without being in an app itself, for example compose an Email from anywhere if I'm not in the email app directly. I was looking for a shortcut to do the same with iMessage. Initially I wanted to compose a new message, but it would be useful to simply launch the app as once the app is open, it is almost as easy to navigate to the recipient in question than to have a new window with a blank message on the screen. I'd also like some other universal shortcuts like launching safari or chrome from anywhere.

Thanks for your help with this!

MacBook, macOS High Sierra (10.13.3)

Posted on Mar 1, 2018 1:04 PM

3 replies

Mar 1, 2018 2:08 PM in response to Stuart423

Hi, thanks, I have only used this a few times and I forgot about the "+" button to show the full list of apps. That helped me get the new message set up in iMessage. However, I'd like to launch a few apps as well with a global keyboard shortcut - Slack, chrome, etc. This is what I was having trouble with. In the method described in the first link, it appears you can only use keyboard shortcuts corresponding to app menus, but how do you do a shortcut to get the app to just open in the first place?

Thanks again

Mar 1, 2018 2:18 PM in response to ROK2015

Hi again, actually correction this does not work most of the time with iMessage. I set up a new keyboard shortcut, but in most cases - like when I have chrome as the full screen, or another app, the keyboard shortcut I set up does not open a new message screen from iMessage. I also noticed that when I go to the message app itself, the menu for "new Message" (I was sure to spell exactly as it is in the drop down menu when I used the preferences for the keyboard shortcut) now has my keyboard shortcut. Without issue when iMessage is open, the new keyboard shortcut starts a new message. It just does not seem to work when I'm in other apps. I also don't get any yellow "conflicting" message when I look at the shortcut in preferences.

Many thanks for any insights you may have!

Quicklaunch keyboard shortcut to start imessage high sierra

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.