Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

older iMac to new LG TV connection?

HI. I have an older (2009) iMac that I would like to connect to my new LG TV. I also have a MacAir and have successfully connected it to the TV using my Thunderbolt to HDMI cable. The older iMac seems to have a thunderbolt port, so I've tried using the same cable. Doing so, I get video, but no audio.

Suggestions? Do I need a different type of cable?

Thanks, Melissa

iMac, iOS 10.1.1

Posted on Mar 1, 2018 1:33 PM

12 replies

Mar 2, 2018 8:24 AM in response to Melissa Bristow

You might be able to get a 3.5mm to RCA audio cables and use left and right audio connections shown in your images above:

Amazon.com: Mediabridge 3.5mm Male to 2-Male RCA Adapter (6 Feet) - Step Down Design - (Part# MPC-35-2XRCA-6 ): Home Aud…

User uploaded file

though there's still the question of whether the TV is going to route Audio from the RCA inputs when an HDMI input is selected.

Alternatively, the Menotek MDP and Audio option linked to by Malcolm above is probably a better choice.

A third alternative would be to plug the headphone audio as above to a home theater or hi-fi with the relevant RCA audio inputs. Though that may be more trouble than its worth.

Mar 2, 2018 9:45 AM in response to Melissa Bristow

Melissa Bristow wrote:

Thanks, Malcolm. I am in Spain, so I tried looking on Amazon.es for such an adaptor and came up with the three options. Can you tell me if one of them is what I'm looking for? User uploaded fileUser uploaded fileUser uploaded file

Don't believe any of those will provide audio to the TV unfortunately.

If finding an adaptor with audio is not possible in spain, then the 3.5mm headphone jack option will the only choice.

Mar 1, 2018 1:44 PM in response to Melissa Bristow

The 2009 iMac actually has a Mini Displayport not Thunderbolt. While its shape is the same as that of a Thunderbolt port, Mini Display Ports do not carry audio, only video.

iMac (Early 2009) - Technical Specifications

In the case of your iMac you would need to get the audio from the headphone jack and use 3.5mm to whatever audio input your TV has.

Mar 1, 2018 1:55 PM in response to Melissa Bristow

The headphone jack on your Mac as the audio. You need to convert that to the audio input on your TV. I cannot say anymore than that, since I do not know what inputs your TV has.

If you can tell us the exact model of your TV, we can find out what inputs it has.

Basically, the audio source from the iMac needs to be the headphone jack as the Mini Displayport does not carry any audio.

Mar 1, 2018 3:50 PM in response to Phil0124

Thanks Phil and Den.thed

My TV is LG55UJ635V.AEV. (European model, as I actually live in Spain). Unfortunately the TV is hung on the wall and I can't easily see what input ports there are and I can't lift it down and put it back up myself, so I'd rather like to figure out what I need to get and get it before I enlist help to manage it!

Thanks again

older iMac to new LG TV connection?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.