Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

file text generator crashes Motion on export

Hi,

Motion 5.4 crashes instantly when I try to export a project that has a file text generator:

Add object > Generators >Text Generators > Files

I have tried several solutions:

Validate fonts in the Font Book

Create a new text file on different softwares

Creating different projects

The common denominator is: Even a single line of a text generator file makes Motion crash on export.

Any idea how to fix this?

Thank you!

Posted on Mar 1, 2018 2:01 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Mar 1, 2018 5:57 PM

I thought Apple fixed that...

Check to see that a copy of the text file used by the File generator is in the template's Media folder (you can find it at the same level as the Motion file inside the template folder.)

Similar questions

8 replies

Mar 1, 2018 8:24 PM in response to pabloferon

What else is in your project? Are you trying to use Align To or some other behavior? Also, use the text file saved through TextEdit.

What kind of template is it? Motion project? or a project for FCPX? If it's a Title, try converting it to a generator.

If you do you have Final Cut — apply the template in FCPX and export from there.

As a side note (as a 2nd to last resort): if your project files are saved on your main hard drive, if file permissions are "corrupted" you might be having these kinds of problems. Try using Disk Utility to Repair Permissions on your hard drive (this is only an issue for the drive with the System on it.) If your files are on an external drive, select the drive in the Finder and Get Info (command-i or right click and select Get Info from the popup). At the bottom will be the permissions for that drive. If your drive does not show Read & Write for 'everyone', try turning that on [only ever do this for external drives!! never your internal drive!]

As a last resort, delete Motion preferences (start up Motion holding down command and option keys - then select Delete Preferences from the dialog.)

This has been a problem with Motion in the past. It would be unfortunate if it has occurred again. If you cannot get it working, you should go to the Motion menu and Provide Motion Feedback...

Mar 2, 2018 3:55 AM in response to fox_m

Hello Fox-m

Thank you for your effort in solving my issue.

I have done all the above more than once before posting the question in the forum.

It is a motion project and the only thing I haven't tried is to apply it to FCPX, it might even be a temporary solution but doesn't solve the problem that Motion crashes instantly when I try to export a project with text file generator.

The only timed I managed to export was when after trying to send to compressor I decided to try to export to mail (and that puzzles me)

file text generator crashes Motion on export

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.