Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Bad 8GB RAM on 2013 Macbook Air 13" - had I bought one with 16GB of RAM, is there a chance that it could still be running on 8GB of RAM?

I'm not sure how the RAM is configured in these laptops with 16GB or RAM. Isn't there a chance that one 8GB module might still be working had I bought a machine with 16GB of RAM?

If so, I think I'll order the next one with 16GB of RAM, just for insurance should one go bad. It's really too bad that Apple has chosen to solder RAM to the board now.

Thanks for any advice.

Ted.

Posted on Mar 1, 2018 2:27 PM

2 replies

Mar 1, 2018 2:34 PM in response to Ted Starr

Always a possibility. If that doesn't happen in the first 90 days of use, then it is very unlikely it will ever happen. But no one can tell you with certainty that a memory chip will never fail.

Most likely Apple's reasoning is to keep amateurs from screwing up their computers which Apple then has to fix or replace. It also encourages buyers to pay more money for their computer and keep the computer longer.

Mar 1, 2018 2:58 PM in response to Ted Starr

Memory tends to be fairly robust, but the biggest danger is probably electro-static discharge completely killing a module after being handled. It's well known that Apple notebook computers with user-replacement memory can operate off of a single module, but that might not be possible if there's some sort of socket damage that registers as a memory error rather than just unpopulated.

They do register as two logical modules. I don't know if going for more is going to help if one logical module fails because a memory module that fails will likely have some sort of error (that doesn't get past power on self test or ends up as a random panic if it does boot) rather than just register as unpopulated.

Bad 8GB RAM on 2013 Macbook Air 13" - had I bought one with 16GB of RAM, is there a chance that it could still be running on 8GB of RAM?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.