Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Bootcamp function key problem, suddenly

For 5 years, I've been happily using BootCamp with Windows 7 on my 2011 iMac 27" i7 with an extended Apple keyboard.

The subtitling program that I use - which is the reason I'm working in Windows - uses the function (F) keys for various central functions. A few days ago, the function keys all of a sudden stopped working as they used to. In the subtitling program, they now only work if I also press the fn key, whereas before they worked without the fn key.

Before, when I pressed the fn key and some of the function keys, I could access other function to control sound and display brightness, both in the program and on the desktop. That's no longer possible.

I have tried with another, similar, Apple keyboard. The result was the same. In OSX, the keyboard works as it should.

I've tried to download an update to BootCamp - following Apple's guidelines - but updating BootCamp is apparently no easy task judging from the many frustrated comments on various websites. I also didn't succeed, and anyway, of course, wouldn't know whether that would make a difference.

iMac, Windows 7

Posted on Mar 1, 2018 3:39 PM

33 replies

Mar 4, 2018 11:28 AM in response to hsmultimedia

The correct W7 drivers can be found at Install Windows 7 on your Mac using Boot Camp - Apple Support. Based on the tables, Boot Camp Support Software 5.1.5621, should work for you, and has

Post Date: Feb 11, 2014

File Size: 924.9 MB

System Requirements

• MacBook Air (11-inch & 13-inch, Mid 2011)
  • MacBook Air (11-inch & 13-inch, Mid 2012)
  • MacBook Pro (15-inch & 17-inch, Mid 2010)
  • MacBook Pro (13-inch, & 15-inch, Early 2011)
  • MacBook Pro (17-inch, Early 2011)
  • MacBook Pro (13-inch,15-inch & 17-inch Late 2011)
  • MacBook Pro (13-inch & 15-inch, Mid 2012)
  • MacBook Pro (Retina, Mid 2012)
  • MacBook Pro (Retina, 13-inch, Late 2012)
  • MacBook Pro (Retina, 13-inch and 15-inch, Early 2013)
  • Mac Pro (Early 2009)
  • Mac Pro (Mid 2010)
  • Mac Pro (Mid 2012)
  • Mac mini (Mid 2011)
  • Mac mini (Late 2012)
  • iMac (27-inch, Mid 2010)
  • iMac (21.5-inch & 27-inch, Mid 2011)
  • iMac (21.5-inch & 27-inch, Late 2012)
  • iMac (21.5-inch) Early 2013
  • Windows 7, Windows 8, and Windows 8.1, 64 bit

Mar 3, 2018 5:50 AM in response to Loner T

Amazing! It helped. So thank you for that advice! 🙂

It's particularly interesting, since the Apple guide on the SMC Reset doesn't mention funcion keys at all and don't mention BootCamp issues.

The function keys in the subtitling program now work as before. What still doesn't work like before is that the function keys for sound up/down/off and brightness up/down - that used to work when I held down the fn key - don't work now. But I can live with that, so thanks again!!!

Mar 2, 2018 8:16 AM in response to Loner T

Yes, the keyboard setting (check mark on/off) remains after restart. But strangely, it doesn't seem to have any effect on the behavior of the function keys. The only one that seems to work normally is F3, which initiates a search - on the desktop it searches the computer, in Chrome it searches the webpage.

In the subtitling program that I use, F3, F4, F5, F13, F15, F18 and F19 work alone. F1, F2, F7, F8, F9, F10, F11 and F12 only work if I hold down the fn key. The remainder of the F-keys don't have any function assigned to them.

Mar 3, 2018 10:44 AM in response to Loner T

Okay. Still doesn't explain why the F keys changed behavior all of a sudden.

My mistake that I didnt create a restore point earlier. I think I might have disabled it at some point because - as I remember - it was a continuous process that kept gobbling up more and more of my harddisk.

But as I said, I can live with it as it is. There are other ways to control brightness and sound.

Thanks again for your helpful answers and interest in my problems.

Mar 3, 2018 4:10 PM in response to Loner T

Unfortunately, I don't have Word for Windows. In Open Office, most F keys work, but some of them don't with the fn key depressed. Others do. Before this issue arose, depressing the fn key somehow opened up a different set of functions - outside of the particular program that was open - allowing for the brightness and sound functions like in OSX.

Mar 4, 2018 11:05 AM in response to Loner T

The second SMC reset didn't make difference. Re-installing BC drivers was actually the first thing i tried, But like - many others, judging from a Google sesarch - I ran into a probeelm when the process asked for "BootCamp64.msi". It is nowhere on my computer and can't be found on the internet. I tried to download other BootCamp updates, but nothing helped, and there was no way to update BootCamp.

Bootcamp function key problem, suddenly

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.