Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

HomePod can not respond to personal requests.

Any help would be greatly appreciated. So far, any time I ask Siri to do anything related to personal requests (Messages or Reminders) I get the following response:

“Before I can help with Personal Requests, the iOS device associated with this HomePod needs to be on the same Wi-Fi network.”

I’ve currently spent about 4 hours trying to resolve this across multiple days, I’ve finally written down all my troubleshooting steps in order of invasiveness.

• Turned off HomePod and paired iPhone X. Left both devices off for 30 seconds. Powered on HomePod, then powered on iPhone X.

• Disabled, then re-enabled Personal Requests through Home app.

Forgot, then reconnected to Wi-Fi network.

Changed from 5 GHz to 2.4 GHz network.

Disabled, then re-enabled “Share My Location” in Settings > Privacy > Location Services > Share My Location.

Changed “From” iPhone X (this device) to iPad in Settings > Privacy > Location Services > Share My Location, then changed back to iPhone X (this device).

• Unpaired the HomePod in Home > HomePod > Remove Accessory and re-paired HomePod.

Reset All Settings on iPhone X.

Reset All Content and Settings on iPhone, setup as new.

• Paired HomePod to new iPhone X, with a different Apple ID.

If there’s absolutely anything else that you can recommend I do I would love the help. Apple refuses to support the HomePod via text chat through the Apple Support app, and Apple Support UK’s phone support is very limited in time throughout the week giving me little time to call. I’d like to know that if I were to take it in for hardware service at an Apple Store, that I’ve ruled out absolutely everything that I can.

Posted on Mar 1, 2018 4:28 PM

Similar questions

6 replies

Mar 1, 2018 4:42 PM in response to Jesse Marino

From Use Personal Requests on HomePod - Apple Support:

You can make personal requests only when:

• Your iOS device is signed in with the same Apple ID as HomePod.
  • Your iOS device is set as the primary device for Share My Location.
  • HomePod and your iOS device are connected to the same Wi-Fi network.

Could your router be using client isolation or guest network settings which let devices connect to the internet, but not to each other?

tt2

Mar 3, 2018 4:26 AM in response to Jesse Marino

I have the same issue and tried several suggested solutions but the Homepod seems to forget that my iPhone is connected to the same network.

I can reset the Homepod and Personal Requests work fine but within 30 minutes to an hour it seems to lose the connection and can't recognise my iPhone.

This feels like a bug 😟

HomePod can not respond to personal requests.

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.