Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

can I put a switch between my base and my AirPort Extreme extender

I extended my network with an AirPort Extreme . It didn't extend far enough and I want to move my extreme further.. can I place a switch in that position and move it on with additional cable trough the switch. I tried and it doesn't seem to wot

iMac (24-inch Early 2009), iOS 9.2

Posted on Mar 1, 2018 4:53 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Mar 2, 2018 5:21 AM

I want to move my extreme further.. can I place a switch in that position and move it on with additional cable trough the switch. I tried and it doesn't seem to wot

If you are saying that the Airport Extreme works correctly when you originally extended the network using an Ethernet cable from your main router to the Airport Extreme.....then the AirPort Extreme will work correctly when you add an Ethernet switch and additional Ethernet cable......assuming that the switch is operating correctly and the Ethernet cable is operating correctly.

90%+ of problems like this can be traced to a bad port on an Ethernet switch, or a bad connection at either end of the Ethernet cable. Unfortunately, you cannot assume that a "new" Ethernet cable is a "good" Ethernet cable, nor can you assume that a switch is working correctly until it has been tested.

However, if you are saying that you originally set up the AirPort Extreme to connect back to your main AirPort router using a wireless connection......then you will need to reset the extending AirPort Extreme back to default settings and then configure it to extend using an Ethernet connection.

If you are still having problems, please provide more information.....things like

What device is acting as your "main" router

What operating system you are using on the Mac that you using to set things up

Screen shots of AirPort Utility, etc.

Similar questions

4 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Mar 2, 2018 5:21 AM in response to JohnFierro

I want to move my extreme further.. can I place a switch in that position and move it on with additional cable trough the switch. I tried and it doesn't seem to wot

If you are saying that the Airport Extreme works correctly when you originally extended the network using an Ethernet cable from your main router to the Airport Extreme.....then the AirPort Extreme will work correctly when you add an Ethernet switch and additional Ethernet cable......assuming that the switch is operating correctly and the Ethernet cable is operating correctly.

90%+ of problems like this can be traced to a bad port on an Ethernet switch, or a bad connection at either end of the Ethernet cable. Unfortunately, you cannot assume that a "new" Ethernet cable is a "good" Ethernet cable, nor can you assume that a switch is working correctly until it has been tested.

However, if you are saying that you originally set up the AirPort Extreme to connect back to your main AirPort router using a wireless connection......then you will need to reset the extending AirPort Extreme back to default settings and then configure it to extend using an Ethernet connection.

If you are still having problems, please provide more information.....things like

What device is acting as your "main" router

What operating system you are using on the Mac that you using to set things up

Screen shots of AirPort Utility, etc.

Mar 2, 2018 5:20 AM in response to JohnFierro

Yes.. you can use a switch.

Assuming the cables and connections are done correctly.. and you use a standard unmanaged switch it will be totally transparent to the network.

The cables can be tested using a laptop.. in place of the airport extreme.. make sure you have connection at full speed.. of either the main router or the switch.

If you still have issues.. get a data cabler in to help you..

can I put a switch between my base and my AirPort Extreme extender

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.