Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Anyone had success bootcamp APFS Wins 10 instal?

Anyone had success with bootcamp on APFS Wins 10 instal?

I have tried with the standard way process in Boot Camp Assistant with a download direct from Microsoft and it failed. I tried getting a different version of the installer from elsewhere and it failed. Boot Camp Assistant does partition my drive successfully but when the Wins 10 instal starts after choosing the options it stops with an error saying it can't find the partition to instal on.

Does it only work if the instal iso is on a USB thumb drive? the location of my iso file is on an external USB hard drive which is in the exFat format.

if anyone has had success would they mind putting it down a step by step process, as I see there are quite a few people with the same problem in the discussions

Thanks

iMac with Retina 5K display, macOS Sierra (10.12), SSD

Posted on Mar 1, 2018 6:55 PM

Similar questions

12 replies

Mar 14, 2018 11:38 PM in response to Loner T

So, am I correct in thinking from your reply that the Wins instal file should be stored on my internal hard drive for the instal to work? My iMac 27" is 5K Retina Mid 2017 with 500GB SSD. So far I've selected the Wins instal file through BCA on an external drive.. If stored on the internal HD, and not in the Downloads, folder where should it be stored? Here is a pic from the failed instal.User uploaded file.I have tried accessing the Wins BIOS to sort out the instal drive but cant find the right keys if at al possible. I noticed in the link you gave, option 4 says about asking which partition to instal on by the installer but that doesn't happen with my attempts. Thank you for your reply. Look forward to fixing this with your help.

Mar 19, 2018 5:07 PM in response to euromikeym69

euromikeym69 wrote:

So, am I correct in thinking from your reply that the Wins instal file should be stored on my internal hard drive for the instal to work? My iMac 27" is 5K Retina Mid 2017 with 500GB SSD. So far I've selected the Wins instal file through BCA on an external drive.. If stored on the internal HD, and not in the Downloads, folder where should it be stored?

Store the ISO file in Documents or on the Desktop. You should not have any external storage connected during the Windows installation.

euromikeym69 wrote:

I have tried accessing the Wins BIOS to sort out the instal drive but cant find the right keys if at al possible. I noticed in the link you gave, option 4 says about asking which partition to instal on by the installer but that doesn't happen with my attempts.

Because you get an error about ImageInstall, the installer will not list any partitions. I suggest re-downloading the ISO using a wired network connection if possible.

Mar 8, 2018 6:11 PM in response to euromikeym69

Does it give you an error message about Imageinstall being invalid? Some of the newer Macs automatically format the partition.

What is the year/model of your Mac (do not post the serial number)?

See How to install Windows on your Mac with Boot Camp - Apple Support, especially Step 4 and the Learn More section. An external storage should not be connected on a 2015 or later Mac. The Windows ISO should be unmounted and not being the Downloads folder. Some models will automatically download the ISO from Microsoft.

Mar 19, 2018 5:07 PM in response to Loner T

It's installed! No issues encountered. Thank you so much for your help.

It is surprising, that with the mass of knowledge accrued amongst Apple’s staff they couldn’t have included such a simple solution in their own instructions in BCA.

I suppose it does bring a community together in solving it for them, which is the upside.

Thank you again.

Anyone had success bootcamp APFS Wins 10 instal?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.