Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Is Apple going to help us?

Since my last update Im finding out there were some very unpleasant surprises. Im familiar with Apple's policy of excluding older devices from upgrading to a newer version of iOS, but loss of previously existing utilities after an Update was not something I anticipated. Several Apps including some that were paid for are now "Obsolete" and now unusable and no way to Backup the remaining ones to my computer using "Apple Supported" software. Security is important and a good reason to Update an Apple product, but finding out after the fact that Apple has purposely stopped supporting what is a necessary feature for some of its customers is wrong.

Will Apple be helping us out with a new "Supported" iTunes version for device to computer App Backups? Will we be getting reimbursement for our paid Apps that were rendered obsolete without any warning?

iPad Air Wi-Fi, iOS 11.2.2

Posted on Mar 1, 2018 8:04 PM

6 replies

Mar 1, 2018 8:14 PM in response to mmc2elgin

People responding here are other users like you and we have no more information on what Apple plans on doing than you do. I agree with almost everything you say but since this is a technical support forum this isn't the place to post about it. I have drawers of software that has been made obsolete. Nobody has ever given me a refund. I wouldn't hold your breath. I also have boxes of old computer cards, floppy discs, Appletalk phonenet adapters, etc. As long as consumers still rush to buy the latest and greatest then that's the way it will go.

http://www.apple.com/feedback/ - Apple products feedback link

Mar 3, 2018 11:14 PM in response to etresoft

I'm sure I will be slapped down hard by someone on this forum for asking why all the flip-flop on App availability/compatibility? Example- One of the Apps. in question was an excellent out of print reference book for identifying poisonous Snakes in Texas. Apple took it out of their USA Store and disabled it a few years ago. Oddly it was still available in European Stores, but you couldnt download or view it on a USA device. Then it miraculously reappeared here in the USA App store about a year ago, so I redownloaded from a Back-Up copy and it was working great. Then the "Specter Security Scare" hit, so I reluctantly Updated. Sadly I found it had once again rendered the book disabled and also unavailable. Sigh...

Its not something a lot of people would need on a daily basis, so probably not a huge money maker for the publisher. Anyway, Im not that optimistic about having any real influence over the situation. Im probably better off buying an old hard copy from a used book store so I can depend on always having it available. Spring is here, and knowing if the snake thats taking a snooze on my porch is a friend or foe is important to me.

Mar 4, 2018 10:00 AM in response to mmc2elgin

Apple doesn't control any of that. It is only the developer that decides where an app can be sold. I have no idea why an app on snakes in Texas would be available in Europe but not the US. But I can definitely say that it was the developer's doing, not Apple's. If Apple decides to unilaterally pull a single app, or pull a developer's access, then Apple's actions apply to all stores globally. There could be issues with tax forms or bank accounts and those could be region-specific, but again, that is the responsibility of the developer, not Apple.

Is Apple going to help us?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.