Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

No Ports on MacBook!

Hi Guys i really need a USB C Port adapter than support USB Thunder bolt etc. If You guys have any suggestions for adapters please tell me below as i really need one for my Setup!

MacBook, macOS High Sierra (10.13.3)

Posted on Mar 1, 2018 11:35 PM

4 replies

Mar 2, 2018 12:11 AM in response to FergusMcLeay

The primary connection out is Thunderbolt3.1+USB-C for newer MacBook &

MacBook Pro models that do not have MagSafe power, see these articles:

• All the adapters you need to buy for the MacBook/Pro with Thunderbolt3.1 | Macworld: (22 Dec 2017)

https://www.macworld.com/article/3136583/macbook-accessories/macbook-pro-thunder bolt-3-adapter-guide-how-to-connect-an-i…

• Using USB-C and Thunderbolt 3 (USB-C) ports and adapters on your Mac notebook - Apple Support

Not all USB-C/Thunderbolt3 cables are capable of charging; there are several

different cables and adapters; this article covers this, while it applies elsewhere.

• If your USB-C power adapter isn't charging your Mac notebook - Apple Support

[There are certain specific purposeful adapters and cables; also 'dock' devices

that do much while may not be portable, if you don't carry much of a kit along.

OWC offers a great 'dock' with 13 ports; yet it is costly does most everything.]

OWC 13-Port Thunderbolt 3 Dock - Space Gray - MacSales.com

When you buy any of these adapters, inquire of return policy before purchasing.

Some may not perform as expected; & others may do more functions adequately.

Belated reply here; re-tested most URLs to these adapter sites I had bookmarked.

In any event...

Good luck & happy computing! 🙂

Mar 5, 2018 1:54 PM in response to K Shaffer

The primary connection out is Thunderbolt3.1+USB-C for newer MacBook &

MacBook Pro models that do not have MagSafe power, see these articles:

The new MacBooks (that's MacBooks, not MacBook Pros) have no Thunderbolt capability, no adapter can add this capability. Since the OP has posted in a forum area that is intended for 12" Retina MacBooks, none of which have Thunderbolt capability, to state otherwise, is incorrect.

Mar 6, 2018 10:13 PM in response to Lanny

The expressed desire to get power through USB-C 3.0/3.1 adapters was the thrust

behind mentioning of these mixed up technologies. Although there'd been discussion

of bringing Thunderbolt3 to the MacBook; as of yet that hasn't appeared so far.

Because power and expandability are both available in the 12-port OWC dock, plus

future connectivity, that would be a good investment; at least in home/office environs.

And some displays could also use the variety of ports therein. - Interchangeably, in

certain configurations the DisplayPort and Thunderbolt1 have physical support. But

the data/power connections aren't the same; so adapters can't work around that.

"The 12-inch MacBook’s USB-C port, for instance, natively supports USB 2 and USB 3 along with

DisplayPort &, via adapters, VGA, HDMI, and Ethernet connections, but not Thunderbolt 2 or FireWire."

• Explaining Thunderbolt 3, USB-C, and everything in Between - TidBITS:

https://tidbits.com/article/16870

Given the hardware in 12-inch retina MacBook 2015+ still isn't up to par with USB-C 3.1 and

can only use one external display via adapter (since TB could daisy-chain, but isn't there yet)

that's another reason why last older non-Touchbar MacBook Pro was in demand & popular.

So you are right, on that side of the connection. {..And he still wants to get more power..}

Looking ahead, the thrust is to get past present 12-inch MacBook hardware 'blocks' & share

the better aspects; past marginal hardware adapters that partly work. And a lack of MagSafe

is yet another curious path ~ with yet evermore orphan designs?

Good luck in any event...! 😐

No Ports on MacBook!

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.