Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

export file in Pages to jpg

Having created fliers and folders in Pages I find these files exported to PDF lack sharpness and lustre. Photoshop CS3 is unable to open files from Pages. Is there no way to convert a file in Pages to .jpg?

iMac, macOS High Sierra (10.13.3)

Posted on Mar 2, 2018 1:39 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Mar 2, 2018 5:37 AM

The only application that can open a Pages document is Pages (Mac, iOS, iCloud), or Preview. You can however drag/drop vector .psd and .ai files into Pages. There are factors within the Pages document, and controllable by you, that govern the sharpness of the resultant PDF.

To JPEG from Pages

File menu : Print : PDF : Save as PDF. This is the sharpest that Pages can make the PDF provided that the Pages content has no transparency in it. Once you have the PDF, and still decide that you want it in JPEG format, you can open it in Preview, switch on thumbnails, select a single thumbnail, and File menu : Export… . If you press the option key, the export image format selection offers more image types.

Factors that decrease sharpness in a exported PDF

Pages is a word processor. Although you can create and incorporate artwork within it, you must take pains to not introduce transparency, or it will render that content at 72 dpi, and diminish the perceived sharpness in the exported PDF.

1. Text boxes have inherent transparency.
  2. Any reduction in opacity from 100% with any document object.
  3. Any attempt to layer images with varying opacity.
  4. You are not in control of your color model in Pages v6. It will change CMYK to RGB at every opportunity.
  5. In the Image tab, borders, drop shadows, reflection introduce transparency and resolution decline.
  6. Low resolution images stay low resolution. Screen shots are 72 dpi.
  7. Keep your artwork with text purely vector from Photoshop, illustrator, or other purpose built vector pro tools.

Any reason you are not producing your flyers and tri-folds in Illustrator and keeping it strictly CMYK and vector? Pages is not Quark or InDesign, and will resist your efforts to make professional appearance results.

5 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Mar 2, 2018 5:37 AM in response to amgreven

The only application that can open a Pages document is Pages (Mac, iOS, iCloud), or Preview. You can however drag/drop vector .psd and .ai files into Pages. There are factors within the Pages document, and controllable by you, that govern the sharpness of the resultant PDF.

To JPEG from Pages

File menu : Print : PDF : Save as PDF. This is the sharpest that Pages can make the PDF provided that the Pages content has no transparency in it. Once you have the PDF, and still decide that you want it in JPEG format, you can open it in Preview, switch on thumbnails, select a single thumbnail, and File menu : Export… . If you press the option key, the export image format selection offers more image types.

Factors that decrease sharpness in a exported PDF

Pages is a word processor. Although you can create and incorporate artwork within it, you must take pains to not introduce transparency, or it will render that content at 72 dpi, and diminish the perceived sharpness in the exported PDF.

1. Text boxes have inherent transparency.
  2. Any reduction in opacity from 100% with any document object.
  3. Any attempt to layer images with varying opacity.
  4. You are not in control of your color model in Pages v6. It will change CMYK to RGB at every opportunity.
  5. In the Image tab, borders, drop shadows, reflection introduce transparency and resolution decline.
  6. Low resolution images stay low resolution. Screen shots are 72 dpi.
  7. Keep your artwork with text purely vector from Photoshop, illustrator, or other purpose built vector pro tools.

Any reason you are not producing your flyers and tri-folds in Illustrator and keeping it strictly CMYK and vector? Pages is not Quark or InDesign, and will resist your efforts to make professional appearance results.

Mar 3, 2018 5:25 AM in response to VikingOSX

Thank you for your comprehensive reply. Yes, I often do artwork in CS 3, but I like to explore Mac applications and what you can do with them. The results on screen with artwork in Pages is stunning, so I wasn't thinking about the end product when exporting. I har forgotten about the serious loss of detail when exporting to pdf. I don't know Illustrator, it sounds like a programme from Microsoft.

Mar 3, 2018 11:14 AM in response to amgreven

Microsoft wishes they owned Illustrator, but it has been an Adobe product for decades.

Artwork created within Pages v5/v6 can be copied to the clipboard, and then in Preview, one chooses New from Clipboard to get that artwork in Preview — as 72 dpi .png image format. The background of the bounding box is transparent when received by Preview. It is a shame for Apple to squander Pages vector artwork by shipping it to the clipboard as a low resolution image.

Up until Sierra and High Sierra, one could use the venerable Pages '09 v4.3 to get vector artwork to the clipboard as PDF, and open it in Preview as PDF with transparent background inside the artwork bounding box. With Sierra and High Sierra, the Pages '09 v4.3 artwork still gets into Preview as PDF, but the background in the artwork bounding box is now white filled — which is so wrong.

Mar 3, 2018 6:25 PM in response to amgreven

Lack sharpness and lustre?

pdfs are vector which is sharp as a tack, and the graphics will be whatever you make them.

You do know what lustre means? Not what I think you think it means.

JPEGs are lossy and they are what give you the fuzzies.

Your problem may be you are not printing to pdfs or using Best when exporting, and we don't know what you are viewing the pdfs in, but Pages' pdfs are perfect on my Mac in Preview

Peter

Mar 6, 2018 1:59 AM in response to PeterBreis0807

Well, it's true I forgot to change the settings to "best" when exporting to PDF. Now the results are much better. I always shoot photos in RAW which renders much more detail even after converting to dng or jpg. Naturally I'm very critical when editing images so I can see the difference between jpg and pdf. So I think I know what lustre means. Thanks for your interest and comments. Sometimes you forget the obvious. Anthony

export file in Pages to jpg

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.