Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Why can’t I add my Comcast email account to my phone. It says the imap server isn’t responding. Check the address to ensure it’s correct. It is!

Why can’t I add my Comcast email account to my phone. It says the imap server isn’t responding. Check the address to ensure it’s correct. It is!

Posted on Mar 2, 2018 5:39 AM

13 replies

Mar 2, 2018 1:32 PM in response to Fborst60

Go it. Have you tried restarting the phone or force restarting the phone and then try to add it? Also try disconnecting from WiFi before you restart the phone, then restart (or force restart) turn WiFi on again and then try adding the account again.

This is how to force restart an iOS device.

• On an iPhone X, iPhone 8, or iPhone 8 Plus: Press and quickly release the Volume Up button. Press and quickly release the Volume Down button. Then, press and hold the Side button until you see the Apple logo.
  • On an iPhone 7 or iPhone 7 Plus: Press and hold both the Side and Volume Down buttons for at least 10 seconds, until you see the Apple logo.
  • On an iPhone 6s and earlier, iPad, or iPod touch: Press and hold both the Home and the Top (or Side) buttons for at least 10 seconds, until you see the Apple logo.

Mar 2, 2018 5:50 AM in response to Fborst60

From what I experienced and from the research that I did online yesterday, it appears as thought Comcast/Xfinity was having major issues with their email servers. I could not send email from either of my Comcast accounts for hours yesterday. What you are seeing today may still be part of that issue.

As a double check, did you follow these instructions?

Set Up Your iPhone for Comcast Email

Mar 2, 2018 1:22 PM in response to Fborst60

I’m sorry, I didn’t mean iPad, I meant on your iPhone. When you go into Settings on the phone, can you see the account? If you can delete it.

If the account does not show at all in the phone, explain step by step what you are doing and at what point you get the error message about the server not responding.

Mar 2, 2018 1:29 PM in response to Fborst60

Fborst60 wrote:

I follow the normal steps. It verifies that the account exists but then won’t add it because the server isn’t responding and states that the imap address may be incorrect which it isn’t.

That has nothing to do with apple or your iPhone, but with Comcast, it is their server, report your issue to them, let them why it works on your ipad and not iPhone.

Mar 2, 2018 5:37 PM in response to mastman26

If Fborst60 is having problems connecting to the Comcast server on the phone, the Xfinity Connect app might not connect either. I certainly can’t say that for certain, but that possibility exists as well.

I have the Xfinity Connect app myself. I have two Xfinity email accounts as well as having two AOL accounts. I like using the built in Mail app because I can access to all of my email accounts in the one mail app.

Just my two cents.

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.